edited November 2013 in ORK Support
(A very very very beginner question)
Hey GiL, I'm just starting to dig into HUD and GUI, so I'm a complete beginner in this section. For my learning purposes, I'm trying to create a situation of when I press Y, a GUI box will appear saying "Pause" and freezing the game.

I went into the HUDs section and create a new HUD call Pause. In the HUD setting, for the GUI Box section, I put in the Main Menu GUI (for testing purposes). I enable the "Use Toggle Key" and put in Y (I created an Input key call Y with the keycode of Y). I enable "Yes" in the Game Paused State. I thought this was enough to make it work, but apparently I fail big time.
Do you know what went wrong?
Post edited by gamingislove on
  • edited November 2013
    You need to set up the pause key in the Game Controls - that's what triggers pause.
    The HUD doesn't need the toggle key for this, it's only a key to toggle the HUD visible or not (and it also needs to be visible due to it's display conditions). The Game Paused game state needs to be set to Yes, the rest is best set to Ignore.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I did what you said.
    I set up the pause key and enable the freeze pause box. After that I set the rest of the game state to ignore, and pause to Yes. It won't work either. Do I have to do something to my pause HUD?
  • Are you sure you disabled the toggle key in the HUD?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited November 2013
    Yes, I'm positive. I went and check again to make sure, and the toggle key is definitely disable.
    Is it working on your end?
    Post edited by Shadow_Fire on
  • Yes, it's working on my end ...

I did:
    - set up the pause key in the game settings (the Pause Time and Freeze Pause settings didn't influence this at all)
    - added a new Information type HUD, set all required game states to Ignore and only Game Paused to Yes and added a simple text element that says 'Pause'
  • edited November 2013
    Ahh it work for me. But I hit into two problems.
    The first: The pause screen will not work if I don't start from the main menu scene. If I start from the scene I want, it'll just ignore the pause completely, but if I start from the main menu scene, the pause will work as intended.

The second one is that even though I enable Freeze Pause, when pausing, the idle animation is still playing.

Do you have any idea if these might be bugs or I just plain forgot to do something?
    Post edited by Shadow_Fire on
  • As long as you're using a Game Starter in the scene with Start Game enabled, you shouldn't have a problem. It's working on my end ...

Freeze Time is currently not implemented - this'll be fixed in beta15. It will simply set Time.timeScale to 0 and thus stop everything in the game (except for selected GUI stuff, i.e. the HUDs for now).
  • Ahh, I enable Start Game and everything is good. Thanks!

On another note, can you also check to see if the camera shake is working? Not working on my end. I just want to see if it's a bug or not, and if it's not, I'll figure it out.
  • Yes, it's working - remember to block the camera control in events, else the control interferes with any camera event movement :)
  • Ahh no wonder I couldn't get it to work. Thanks! You can close this thread now.
This discussion has been closed.