edited April 2014 in ORK Support
Greetings all. I searched to forums for a bit and couldn't find something here to answer my question. Please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong section.

What I'm trying to do is have a consumable meter, say a rage meter, for example that builds up with x amount of a 'Rage' value with certain abilities. I think I have most of the concept worked out for 'filling' meter - much like a 'small heal' would do for HP. But I can't figure out how to set the initial value to zero and max out at 100. This would be static for all levels.
  • Setting up the Rage stats themselves is basically duplicating HP and Max HP, then setting the "Max Rage" minimum and maximum values to 0 and 100 under Base Settings and unchecking the Death on Minimum box for Rage. To make sure the min-max value range doesn't change while leveling, go to Status -> Status Developments and set Type to None. That's also where you set the Initial Value to 0.

If you want the Rage value to carry over from battle to battle, then you're basically done there. Just make the right abilities increase and decrease its value. If you want something more like a fighting game meter that resets to 0 at the start of each battle, then... my solution would be to add a Change Status Value step to either your battle start event or battle end event that sets the whole player group's Rage stat to 0.
    twitter.com/JellyPaladin
  • Thanks for the response. I've tried that what you've suggested but just to be sure, I set the Initial Values to None and 0 in Status Development for both Rage and MaxRage? If that's the case, I do get 0 for my start value, but it never increases when I use abilities that should increase the Rage value. It always remains at 0. Am I missing something?
  • If your characters' abilities raise their own Rage value, then the only difference between my suggestion and my current setup (which is functional) is that instead of making two values, I created one Burst Level status value that's a Normal type...

If the abilities are attacks, try making sure they're hitting and not being blocked by the enemies: check Game -> Game Settings -> Chance Settings for the Min. Random Range and Max. Random Range. For each ability, set the Hit Chance to the max; for each enemy combatant, set the Block Chance to the minimum.

If that doesn't solve it, then I guess try using my setup: delete Rage and use only MaxRage.

And if that doesn't solve it either, I'll have to leave this one up to gamingislove.
    twitter.com/JellyPaladin
  • Quick follow up on what I was able to get to work. I don't know if it's the best or cleanest way to get this to work but I did the following:

1.) Followed JellyPaladin's setting with the following exceptoin: In Status Development I set the MaxRage value to None 100 (instead of 0). I left Rage as None 0 as he suggested.

2.) I went into the game 'startEvent' and used the JellyPaladin's concept of a Change Status Value step and set the Rage value to 0.

Two things to note for someone new to the Framework like me: a.) be sure add an actor to the first node 'Event Settings'. The under 'Event Actors' > click 'Add Actor' (GiL pointed this out to me in an email a couple of weeks ago. b.) You will need to add the 'Change Status Value' nodes AFTER the 'Spawn Player' node. I had to figure that out since I have worked with event's much outside the scope of the tutorials up to this point.
  • Ah, of course... You were right from your second post, MaxRage should have been 100. It was either that or set up status bonuses for each combatant to increase the value by 100. Most of my status values are set up in roundabout, unconventional ways (e.g. I use three formulas to determine HP), so sometimes obvious solutions are the trickiest things to me.

Oh well. Hope I was at least some help despite my bungling along the way. :P
    twitter.com/JellyPaladin
  • Oh yeah! You were! You mentioned Health based on a formula. I would like to do that as well. Something along the line of Fort * 10 etc. Have you found a way to do that?
  • Yeah, it's doable. Turn Max Health into a Combined Value and click the + box next to Formula to set up a new formula for it, then:

Add Node -> Combatant Steps -> Status Value. In that step, change Status Value to Fort. (The other settings with Status Origin User and Value Origin Current are already correct.)
    Add Node -> Value Steps -> Value. Change Operator to Multiply and change Value to 10.

Max Health will be updated whenever Fort changes, like on level up or with equipment that gives a bonus to Fort. (Equipment can also give a bonus to Max Health directly.) Then just make sure Initial Values are set up correctly so you don't start off with a character at 0 HP or something.

Let me know if it gets up and running like it's supposed to. =)
    twitter.com/JellyPaladin
  • Thanks! That worked. It took me a minute to realize how the initial value was working. At first I thought is was used as base for health so I set it to 150 thinking it would take 150 + (FORT *10) but instead it's adding the 150 in as a base for the calculation which makes sense: (150 + FORT) * 10. That was way to high so I started with an initial value of 10 and all is well. Thanks again! :)