edited January 2018 in ORK Support
(I'm so sorry)

So, I've done a fair amount of UI work in bare Unity. But I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the way ORK manages UI sometimes. So I'm making a thread to dump my questions in. Hopefully there are answers other than "write your own code to do this" because I am much more of an artist than a programmer.

Starting out:

1) Is there a way to put a UI border around a portrait? I have a number of City portraits, sort of like travel fliers, that I want to display in a Movie Poster style with a fancy frame, with town info and quests available in a plainer default UI panel next to it.

I've built the frame I like, and there's both an empty Image component that could be assigned the portraits, and an empty panel overtop that anything could be assigned into, and saved it as a prefab. I made a menu called PortraitDisplay and tried giving it a custom GUI of the fancy prefab, but I couldn't figure out how to... just display a picture in it.

I know how to display an image in a HUD, but that's not getting put inside the fancy frame when I make a hud with the portrait menu, I get the ghost of a plain frame unless I turn off boxes, then I get neither. And I can't call a HUD in an event anyway to bring it up on interaction.

I can call a dialogue in an event with the Portrait menu and display an event actor portrait in it, but the menu does not expand to fit the portrait if there is no dialogue. I can call an image in an event but I can't give it a frame.

I've tried giving up on the frame, and just displaying the image naked as a portrait beside the dialogue box, but I can't seem to get it to scale to fit between the left border of the dialogue box and the left border of the window. It just stays the same size no matter what settings or custom portrait position info I give it. I could remake all the portraits at the size of the UI by pixel, but that would look horrible on a large screen...

This is what I'm going for
Image link

Thank you for the consideration. I'm tearing my hair out over here, and I don't just want to paint a frame on over a dozen portraits.
Post edited by Megami on
  • edited January 2018
    1) You can use the Alpha Mask Settings of the portrait for this. The alpha mask is used to hide parts of the portrait, so whatever you want there to be could e.g. be part of the GUI box that displays the portrait or the HUD elements.

The easiest way would be to have the portraits already in the form and style you want, so you'd just display the image as is :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • 1) Thank you I will look at that. It seems less flexible than a UI frame, but if it's the only thing that will work, it's a good thing they are all planned at the same size and aspect.

2) Since the GUI placement in ORK is pixel based instead of percentage based, should I be making my GUI at the largest possible screen resolution? Or will it scale up nicely without pixelating everything?
  • 2) It should scale up pretty nicely, but the higher the differences between defined resolution and actual resolution gets, the less precise it might get. Defining everything in standard 720p or 1080p should work fine.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • 3) I am trying to figure out how to display a menu with a list of quests that can then be interacted with through the UI, rather than walking up to people and starting quests by talking to them.

I have my Quest types, quest, and tasks set up, and an event to run the quest, but I can't figure out how to activate the event from a menu. I thought maybe creating a menu screen with Menu Part: Quest might do something, but all I get when calling the menu is empty boxes, even though it is set to the quest type the quest is under. I followed the whole game tutorial, and the extra gameplay ones, but I guess I still don't understand how the menus access the stored information in the framework.
  • 3) A quest has to be added to the player's quests, e.g. using the Add Quest node in an event. The menu can only show quests that are added.