in my first combat test I'm having a problem where the player controlled unit's attack is not damaging the AI controlled unit, but the AI controlled unit's attack is damaging the player controlled unit back. They are using the same ability. Their classes and everything are identical (except that I reduce the lvl, max hp, and attack status's for the AI controlled unit.) They even have the same prefabs. I'm not entirely sure why this would be. Can anyone provide advice on where to look for the problem?
  • You probably changed something that nullifies damage in the stats. So I would try to also make the stats identical and see if it still happens. If it does then you know it's just a status value...
  • Hm, sounds strange - could be attack/defence attributes on the player/enemy resulting in no damage (e.g. one of the attributes being 0 and used in the attack) or the enemies HP not being set (e.g. MaxHP set to 0) and HP reaching minimum not set to killing the combatant.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Alright. Thanks for the help. It turned out to be something much simpler: user error. I didn't notice I needed to tell it who my target was supposed to be so the ability didn't go off before it got interrupted by the enemy's initiative coming up and the AI took it's turn. This means my settings for initiative are wrong (my intent was for things to calculate at the end of each turn, not to be running constantly) but that's a different issue.
  • The Classic turn based mode would first select all actions from the player and AI controlled combatants and use them afterwards in order they where selected. That's the closest you could come to this.
    The outcome of an action is calculated while performing the action (e.g. using the Calculate node in the battle event or at the end of the action), you can't postpone that until the end of the turn after all actions have been animated.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Alright. I've figured it out. Thanks for the help!