Hi,

I was thinking of using your framework for my game, but before that I need some information:

Can we override methods or easily add code as needed

Can we integrate multiplayer feature from gamespark and from a mobile companion that need to sync with the game to transfer game data?

Can we use custom scripts and animator controller by calling them from your framework?

Can part of the game be made using your framework and others without it?

Can ORK create jrpg type inventory system (think ff7 or rpg maker)

How deep and complex is your AI system? We are doing a real time rpg with a dynamic combo system with a self made camera system. I am using mecanim and there are a lot of nodes and transitions to set. Can all of that be integrated into ORK without recoding it?

If I use Timeline and Cinemachine for my cutscenes, can they be integrated into ORK as well or be used independently without conflicting with the framework?

I need 3 characters that follow each other (think secret of mana) and the player can switch characters and each character have different navigation skill that he can use to open paths or solve puzzles. Can the ork framework create this kind of system without having to code anything?

Can we use ORK to create puzzles and instantiate (pool) any type of gameobject or particles?

What can’t be done with the framework in the context of a real time hard core combo battle system and puzzle solving rpg without adding code?

Thanks in advance,

Yannick
  • Answered the questions via email :)
    For others interested in these questions:

Can we override methods or easily add code as needed

> Overrides aren’t available in most cases, but you can modify and add to the source code that’s included in the full (paid) version of ORK Framework.

Can we integrate multiplayer feature from gamespark and from a mobile companion that need to sync with the game to transfer game data?

> ORK doesn’t have any built-in multiplayer functionality, but you can add it through custom scripts and changing ORK’s source code.

Can we use custom scripts and animator controller by calling them from your framework?

> Yes. Beside the support for custom animation systems, you can also use ORK’s event system to just call any function from custom scripts/components to do that.

Can part of the game be made using your framework and others without it?

> Sure, while ORK offers a lot of functionality, there’s no requirement to use it all. You could e.g. just use ORK’s status system as your basis and do the rest on your own.

Can ORK create jrpg type inventory system (think ff7 or rpg maker)

> Yes, those list type inventories usually found in JRPGs are actually the default inventory presentation in ORK.

How deep and complex is your AI system? We are doing a real time rpg with a dynamic combo system with a self made camera system. I am using mecanim and there are a lot of nodes and transitions to set. Can all of that be integrated into ORK without recoding it?

> Hm, that’s hard to say without more information.
    Generally, ORK has 2 different AI systems – the ‘Move AI’ is responsible for moving the combatant (e.g. detecting the player and hunting it), the ‘Battle AI’ is responsible for selecting battle actions (e.g. using a fire spell or base attack).
    The battle actions are animated using ORK’s event system, i.e. whatever action the AI ends up using, the animations, sounds, etc. are used by the event, which offers a lot of functionality and freedom to do what you want.

If I use Timeline and Cinemachine for my cutscenes, can they be integrated into ORK as well or be used independently without conflicting with the framework?

> They can be used independently from ORK, but should also be useable through ORK’s event system and either using reflection functionality (e.g. calling a function to start a timeline) or by writing custom event nodes.

I need 3 characters that follow each other (think secret of mana) and the player can switch characters and each character have different navigation skill that he can use to open paths or solve puzzles. Can the ork framework create this kind of system without having to code anything?

> The basic group members following the leader (player) functionality is available through the ‘Move AI’.
    Navigation skills to solve puzzles could be implemented through using the event system, but I can’t guarantee that everything you need is available out of the box. Stuff like sending a group member to a position is definitely possible, though.

Can we use ORK to create puzzles and instantiate (pool) any type of gameobject or particles?

> Depends on the complexity of the puzzles, generally the event system can be used for this.
    Pooling isn’t available out of the box, but you can use 3rd party solutions for this and integrate them into ORK using its Unity wrapper functionality. There are e.g. wrappers for ‘Core Game Kit’ and ‘Pool Boss’ available:
    http://orkframework.com/plugins/

What can’t be done with the framework in the context of a real time hard core combo battle system and puzzle solving rpg without adding code?

> Hm, I can’t think of anything right now – but there’s probably a lot :D
    Generally, ORK is capable to do all of this, but it ultimately depends on the details of the system you want to build.

Also, a lot of functionality can be implemented using ORK’s event system, and if there’s more you need to do, you can also use my other product, Makinom, which is available for free:
    http://makinom.com/
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!