edited April 2018 in ORK Support
Hi again, I have two questions:

1. In first person view, the camera moves with the mouse. What's the best way to get the equipment viewer to be attached to the camera so when I look up with the mouse, the weapon moves up, and when I look down, the weapon moves down? Also, how is this handled with weapons being attached to a fully animated character? Would I split it into two different layers with different animations so that I would see one thing, and another player would see something better (something other than a sword not attached to anything but swinging around wildly with my camera movement)?

2. What is the best way to handle a large amount of weapons/weapon types. Under the Inventory tab in ORK there's an Item Type section, an Items section, Weapons, and Armors. I'm not sure where to start the categorization process.

For example: should weapon types such as the ones listed below be categorized under the Item Types section? or under the Weapons section? If so, what goes into the Items section? Are "Items" every actual item I want in game including weapons, armor, potions etc? or is that section for everything BUT things that already have their own section like Weapons and Armors? I'm just asking to know what someone smarter than myself would do :) and because you all have more insight into what the consequences of laying out weapons types incorrectly would be further into development.

0: short swords
1: long swords
2: daggers            <--- are these considered "Weapons", "Item Types", or "Items" for best practice?
3: halberds
4: Wands
Post edited by flymolo on
  • 1) Probably best to use a custom player/camera control for this (in case you're using ORK's built-in control, which is only there to get you started). I've never done much with first person view, but I guess there are a lot of solutions out there to solve that problem :)
    From ORK's point of view, the equipment viewer just has to be part of the (player) combatant's game object, i.e. if they're mounted on the camera, the camera also has to be part of it. Otherwise you'd need to sync the movement of the hands with your camera's movement.

2) Weapons and armors use item types for categorizing them. Also, item types (like most other types) can also be sub-typed, i.e. you could set up types like: swords > short swords, swords > long swords, etc.
    The item types in weapons/armors are just used for inventory management. Since you can define which item types should be displayed in an inventory menu screen, you can e.g. use different menu screens for equipment and regular items (e.g. potions).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Right on, thank you so much for the timely response!