Good evening! I recently purchased ORK and I'm quite enamored with the toolkit. I've been playing with it for a few weeks and getting the hang of things, but I've hit a few snags. Most of what I've worked with has seemed very intuitive, but I'm struggling on a few points. I want to share what my end goal is, and the points I'm sticking on.

In short, I'm making a grid-based strategy RPG akin to Disgaea, FFT, etc. I cite Disgaea primarily as it is the heaviest influence in terms of visual presentation. Here is a link to gameplay footage of Disgaea 5: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/200312341?t=23m13s This is a speed run, so it might be beneficial to slow the video down, but it should convey my intent.

I'm differing from Disgaea on a few points; for example, I do not plan (currently) on letting the player rotate the camera. Degrees of zoom, yes, but rotation, no. The view angle will always be a fixed isometric view. This is done primarily to reduce the burden on art assets.

What I'm having issue with is character movement and hooking animations up to the X/Z axis in the Animator. I'm also unsure if ORK has its own method of handling sprite flipping. Much like Disgaea, I am using four-directional sprites, with an 'up/down' view that is meant to be flipped.

Issue 1, character movement. So I've worked through this a bit with the settings and I'm able to get 8 directional movement easily (which is fine even with this sprite setup). The problem I'm having is that it rotates the player and causes the sprite to show at odd angles, or disappear entirely when moving left/right. I've been scouring ORK for a way to just stop the player rotation. I am unsure if this will need a custom movement script, but I feel like I'm just missing a tickbox somewhere. My other concern here is that if I do manage to freeze the rotation, it will cause issues with the interaction controller. Basically, I'd like the player to not visually rotate, as the 'rotation' should be handled by the sprite animations, but have the interaction controller snap in front of the direction the player is moving currently.

Issue 2, connecting animations to the X/Z axis in the Animator. I have a general idea of how to do this with blend trees, but I'm not sure if there's a specific value I should be grabbing to provide that information to the animator with ORK. I've done everything I can think of except for digging into the actual code behind ORK itself.

Issue 3, sort of goes hand in hand with issue 2. I have a general idea on how to tell it to flip the sprite renderer as necessary, but I'm again unsure if ORK has some support for that without writing a brand new script. That information also relies on having the values for the prior issue, I believe.

Everything else I've been doing has gone pretty smoothly with ORK, and I'm quite pleased with this toolkit. Hopefully someone can direct me with getting past these hurdles! :)
  • ORK's built-in controls are only there to get you started, I think you should use a custom control for such a play style.

Otherwise, if you're sticking with ORK's built-in controls, I'd recommend a setup that has the sprite as a child object of the moving object (with the character controller) and use a script on the sprite that keeps it rotated toward the camera.

Sprite flipping would probably also require a custom script that changes it based on the rotation. Also, ORK's Mecanim animation settings have the Auto Rotation Settings, which also allow you to set the rotation as a 4- or 8-directional value (int parameter) instead of angle (float parameter).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for the input, that gives me a few ideas on where to go with this.