edited July 2018 in ORK Support
Hi,

I feel pretty dumb that I can't figure out how to use Game Variables - it seems like a pretty basic concept to me. My goal is the following:

1. Player picks a character at game start
2. String variable playerChar gets set corresponding to that char ("Tristina" if they pick Tristina)
3. When they go to the combatant vendor, he will not show Tristina for purchase if the player already picked her

This is all being tested off of the tutorial environment. I approached this as follows: when the game starts you get menu options to pick your first character - when you confirm the character it changes the player name, class, and the following event node to set the variable:

Node: Change Game Variables
Variable Origin: Global

Change Variable 0
Variable Key
Variable Type: Game Variable
Value: playerChar

Type: String

String Value
Value Type: Value
Value: Tristina

After that, I thought I set the shop settings to only display the combatant as long as the playerChar value doesn't match:

Combatants
Combatant 0

Use Variable Conditions: Enabled
Variable Condition 0
Condition Type: Conditions
Needed: All

Variable Condition 0

Variable Key
Value Type: Game Variable
Is Valid: Unchecked

String Value

My noob understanding of these settings is that playerChar should get set to Tristina by the event, then as long as that value is Tristina, the shop won't show this item (since Is Valid is unchecked). What is actually happening is that all of the combatants are showing on the shop regardless of the character I pick at start. I feel like the variable needs to be initiated before my character select event or something, it seems like it's a null value or just doesn't exist at all. I am working with the tutorial game, so I have a Ork Game Starter on the main menu. I tried adding one to the first scene, but that didn't change the behavior. Feels like this is just some fundamental misunderstanding of mine on how to use game variables. Let me know if you guys see my problem here.

Thank you!
Post edited by Celadon on
  • Haha I know what you mean. The variable system is really weird and confusing, I'm still trying to get a grasp on it too.
    Olive Branches ~ in development ~ now with a WEBSITE!!!
  • Change the bold word from game variable to value.
    Node: Change Game Variables
    Variable Origin: Global

Change Variable 0
    Variable Key
    Variable Type: Game Variable

String Value
  • As @Shadow_Fire pointed out, the Value Type shoud be Value - this is because you directly define the variable key that you want to use.

Using Game Variable as value type means that the variable key you're using is stored in the game variable you defined.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Well, I knew it was going to be something like that - switching from Game Variable to Value fixed it - thanks guys!