Hello there!

I downloaded the free version of ORK and I've been going through the tutorial trying to learn the features and how it runs. There's a lot of features here and it's fun to plug away with but I still have some questions before continuing to use it if you don't mind answering.

1. If I wanted to, could I use ORK's database features, such as items, skills, classes, etc, while working with my own combat system? So if I wanted to pull stats from script or PlayMaker/Bolt, is it possible to do so?

2a. I saw that ORK used to have actions for PlayMaker, but eventually died out due to the creator dropping the project/ORK's updates breaking actions. Could I still somehow do #1 through get/set properties?

2b. If not, has anyone tried using Bolt alongside ORK? Could I do so with Bolt perhaps?

3. How complex can the grids in the grid combat get? Could I, for example, place walls that block line of sight, or create overhanging cells where units could stand under/above each other (like a porch or bridge)?

4. I use Super Text Mesh for animated text (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/gui/super-text-mesh-57995). Is it possible to use another text-based component for dialogue boxes, menus, etc in ORK or would that require some altering?

I think that's the only thing that's been nagging at me. I love the database organization and the asset is very feature rich so I'll continue plinking away at the tutorials for now.

Thanks for taking a look at my questions and I hope to hear back soon.
  • 1) Yes, that's possible. You could either change one of the existing battle system's code to your liking, write a completely new battle system and integrate it with ORK's system or just ignore ORK's system completely and do your own thing while utilizing ORK's stats, abilities, etc.

2a) That was a 3rd party developer's product, and he seems to have vanished. You'd have to write whatever interaction you need yourself.
    Generally, you can use ORK's event system to interact with other products using the function nodes to e.g. call a function on a component.

2b) With custom scripts definitely.

3) Placing walls to block LoS is definitely possible, overhanging/lapping cells aren't possible.

4) You'd need to change ORK's source code to use it for ORK's built-in UI (e.g. dialogues, menus, etc.). However, you can always use it in addition to that, e.g. using the event system to change/spawn a text like that.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Great! Thanks for getting back to me.