• (Carried over from a thread under 'General Discussions')

I read the part about a grace period, but that's still a hard cutoff for people who might have purchased just prior to that. A better way would have been to announce that this policy would be taking effect at the beginning of next calendar year, and then to grant support through the remaining year + 12 further months starting January 1st to anyone purchasing a license between now and then. Sort of like an incentive sale.

-Comments from the original thread:

"So, I think most people can understand the need for some form of continuing revenue stream in order to provide service for a product like this. Otherwise, it turns into a whole lot of work for inadequate returns and could lead to support being dropped altogether. That's actually why I began donating to ORK's Patreon account a couple of months ago, and even though I purchased my license back in January, I figure I've gotten about a years worth out of it so I don't really mind having to purchase a new one to acquire the 2018.1 update (fantastic update by the way). That said, on behalf of anyone who might have purchased their license only a month or two prior to this last update, that hard cutoff seems terribly unfair. Shouldn't you at least extend to those people a credit of some sort that would allow them to receive updates for a year minus the time they've had their license?"

dlevel:
    "this is the case, if you purchased ork 2 months ago, you have 10 months of updates remaining, you just have to e-mail GIL."

gamingislove:
    "As @dlevel said, that's already the case - see the update policy changes for this.
    Also, please discuss this in the official thread for the update policy changes :)"
  • @gamingislove
    Well I do have a contract through Unity and you are a sub contractor bound by the sellers agreement...which they changed the day AFTER I started the discussion with them ...not "over the years"...if you'd like a html copy of the contract the day BEFORE they altered it just ask.....
    I'll forward your answer that I have no contract with you to Unity support and see what they say....at this point I'm just going on the assumption my copy of ork will become obsolete and unusable next API change and do my best to make sure others don't unwillingly buy an asset that will squeeze them for constant update fees in the future...$50 lost AFAIC...I'll skip lunch or eat ramen for a couple days.
    Just bought a template to replace ork and asked the dev about free updates...he was surprised I even asked the question and gave me a promise via email....I couldn't hit the "pay now" button fast enough....
    You really need to change your signature btw..the part about free updates is an outright fabrication at this point...
  • A bit late to the party on this one, but here's my two penn'orth, for what it's worth:

First off, I don't think any reasonable member of the community would begrudge hardworking professional devs like GIL from making a decent living from their efforts. The best ones go above and beyond to provide a product and then maintain it, and the up-front cost of a system like ORK is ridiculously cheap in respect to its feature-set

But, I'm afraid you'll have to count me out on this. I've used ORK on a couple of projects, but I don't exclusively develop RPGs, and I really don't want to get tied down in the way this new business model is trying to push us

I've bought a fair number of other build-your-own systems over the years, and if every one of them went down this route I could find myself paying out a substantial amount of money just to keep them all up to date, often when I wasn't even actively using them at the time

But, I've also got a template system of my own. It's not particularly polished, but it more or less works, and it's always up to date, so I'll be switching to that for my own future developments

A shame, because I've got a couple of ORK-based projects I'd shelved to come back to later, which I'll now have to either abandon or port over to my own system - but, as I said, I'm rather pig-headedly resistant to being forced down directions I may not want to go in, and that's what this new model is trying to do

I rather suspect that I won't be the only one to silently fade into the night either. Devs with ongoing ORK-based projects have little option but to grit their teeth and go down this path, but I suspect that many existing, and many potential new users, will be deterred by the prospect of having to continually pay out to keep their system up to date, and will vote with their wallets

From one perspective I hope I'm wrong about that, because as I said up top, I think that the best devs deserve to be properly recompensed for their efforts. I just don't think that this is the right way to go about it, either for ORK, or for the development community as a whole

• edited October 21
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to fade into the night. But I wish Gil the best for a great system.
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • I'm jumping in not because of the paid change model, but because I'm shocked I can´t even download from the asset store the version I paid for in the past. My only criticism to GIL is that he doesn't quit listen to his users. If you pay attention to the forums the questions are always the same all over again, meaning the lack of a comprehensive tutorials, and now days, video based tutorials are the best. There were several attempts on YouTube and all of them failed to commit at some point (even myself). GIL you had a good base of "Senior" users helping each other that now are fading away.
    I suggested in the past the creation of ORK Starter kits, and the ppl were very optimist because there's a need for that, having real templates for FPS games, 2D games. I don't have to go bother dlevel (2D ORK guru) to ask him how to make my game, or spend 3 hours Skype session with a user to help him animate and equip his ORK FPS. So there you go a couple of ideas to make you get more money and strengthen the community in using ORK. Also, get rid of the eggs characters and start using more appealing models.
    I apologize for my English, if I sound rude, and the unorganized stream of thoughts.
    I stopped using ORK way back when the grid battle system came live, even though I supported and pledged for it as my appreciation for the product and GIL commitment. I general I don't stick with third party assets that comes in the dll way with no source code.
    Welp, my two cents to the pool. Let's see what ORK 3 has to offer in the future.
  • @RustedGames You can still download the deprecated version of Ork, by going to "My Assets" then searching for Ork in the smaller Search box (the one next to "My Local Downloads", not the one right at the top of the screen). That will then allow you to download the last released version of the "old" Ork

Whether it's worth doing that, as you'll be downloading a version whose bugs will now never get fixed, and which will probably stop working altogether at some unspecified point in the future, as Unity itself gets upgraded, well, to be honest I kinda think it probably isn't...