I'm attempting to make a game with grid battles in a different scene. Additionally, the character that the player controls out in the world is not going to be fighting, the other party members will.

Currently I'm having issues with the grid placement. I've tried two solutions, to varied success. My battle start event removes the main player from the battle group and hides him.

If I use player grid placement, I can place the party member (the one that I want to battle with) on the grid no problem, but after I select the rotation I get a blank dialogue box appearing. I assume its the game trying to place the hidden party member, and I can hit enter and the battle goes on fine, but I cant inspect the mysterious box to even see how to stop it appearing.

The other way I tried to do this was by setting up a single deployment cell for player and using place on grid, my thinking was that if everyone is placed automatically then I wont have to deal with the dialogue for hidden member. When I use this method, my enemies spawn where I want, but the player spawns almost in the middle of the grid, not even in a cell so he can't even move. I tried a lot of variations with this method, since I'd almost rather have all combatants placed automatically for each battle, but no luck with getting him to spawn on any cell, let alone a specific cell. I even tried creating a third faction and forcing the ground type cells to only be available to spawn that faction, but it didn't help.

So is there a problem with the way I'm removing the player in the battle start event?
Is there a way to place combatants on specified cells?
Anything that gets me headed in the right direction will be much appreciated.

Another issue i'm having:
My enemies are able to attack while at least 4 cells away. So on the enemy turn, they move at max range and are able to attack even tho they're far away. In the grid battle tutorial, in the section for 'move in to attack range' and 'move into magic range' there is a reference to stopping distance, but I can't find that option anywhere (Ork 2.20). There are some options for maximum or minimum distances and that, but changing them doesnt seem to help. This seems like I just missed something simple, but I've gone over everything twice and can't see it.

Thanks
  • If your player isn't actually taking part in battles (e.g. like the trainer in pokemon), you should do that from the start, not for each battle.
    I.e. in your game's start event (where you add the player combatant to the group), after the Join Active Group node you have to use a Leave Battle Group and a Hide Member node. This'll let your player combatant run around in the field and not take part in battles.

The stop distance is now the Target Cell Settings in the Grid Move node, allows a more detailed setup, e.g. using range templates or custom grid masks to move behind a target.
    If your enemies can attack from farther away, I'd recommend checking the use range of those attacks (or the default use range). If that isn't limited the enemies are able to attack from wherever they want.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • So, I must have had something else going on. I tried the change with the start event and then something broke and messed everything up, and changing back wouldn't fix it. So I started a new project and worked back to the same point, this time with your suggestions, and everything works perfectly, even the move range problem is solved.

Thank you