edited May 2014 in ORK Support
Greetings,

My mind keeps going in circles on how I would award a player a crafting recipe in game. I.E finds one in a chest or off a monster. How do I go about giving the player the recipe and then having him learn it? I know the tutorial used the 'startEvent' to award two recipes there via a Crafting Step. I'm just missing something.

Thanks!
Post edited by gamingislove on
  • Well, since there is the Learn Recipe step in events to do this, you can pretty much use that everywhere.

E.g.: make an event for the chest that learns the recipe, or a special death event for the enemy that learns the recipe ...

Also, you can use items to learn recipes :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you for the information. Yeah, I missed the checkbox (when creating inventory) to learn a recipe. Thank you.

So I made a 'Recipe: Restoration Potion' which can be placed as loot and when used teaches the recipe. The only thing I couldn't get to work correctly was the sound and animation feature to show that I learned the recipe. I would also like to create a dialogue (Top Dialogue) that says "You learned how to make 'Restoration Potion'" or something to that effect. :) Is that possible at this time?
  • edited May 2014
    Not really familiar with ORK2 yet but working on it. If you're using an event to learn the recipe can't you use a small dialogue box to show you learned it and play a sound in the event?

Are you using an event on the place where you get the loot?
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • No built in way yet, but using an event would make this possible.

You can also start events from items - the item has to be useable in the Field to allow starting global events. You can create a simple event that plays sound and displays the message, add is as a global event in World > Global Events (event type Call is enough here) and set it up in the item :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Alright, cool. I'll work with that. Thanks again for all the help!
  • So I have the event working well but got a bit lost on adding the 'Play Sound' step to the event:

I see Audio Settings and the option to Use Sound Type and a select box to play an Audio Clip. The 'Audio Clip' select box is empty. If I check the 'use Sound Type' option, I can select from Sound Types such as Damage, Attack and so on. I added my own thinking I could attach to actual audio clip there but it just looks like a list of sound types that must link up to audio clips elsewhere. Anyway, not sure how to proceed from here. Thanks :)
  • In 'Event Settings' did you add the sound effect?
  • Thanks for pointing that out. I added it to the 'Event Settings' and added a 'Play Sound' step. I now see that I can select 'Audio Clip 0' which I would presume is my audio clip that I set in the 'Event Settings'. But I still don't have the clip playing in the event. Is there another setting I'm missing?
  • Doh! Found my problem. I hadn't added the actor to the 'Event Settings'. Thanks for all the help. It works beautifully now.