How to have a grid battle without placing player on grid and only active group member combatants from selection?

So basically I want no player in scene just chosen active members vs enemy members on grid. I'm trying to have a grid battle type game without using the player as a combatant. I only want to spawn active members and place them on the grid.

The Problem / Bug : If I hide the player member from active group, it doesn't show up on combatant selection list to place on grid , which is perfect but once I place all non player combatants on grid the player also spawns after player grid placement node is successful.

Things I tried:

-I can't find how to make player an Inactive member so it can't be chosen in grid combat selection and won't spawn as a battle combatant

-I tried hiding player member using hide member node, which works only to remove player from combatant selection list.
  • The player combatant also needs to be removed from the battle group, not just hidden. You can do this using a Leave Battle Group node.

So, to have a non-battle player (e.g. like in pokemon), you need to:
    - add the player combatant
    - remove the player combatant from the battle group
    - hide the player combatant
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited June 2019
    Thanks GiL, I tried what you said but not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I only have 2 events in the game right now , start game event and the battle start event.
    The scene only has a Grid and Battle component set to real time, and of course a gamestarter.

Start Game Event
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PA-ewEqRAci-OfCpAuhtdp83IZFEQ4gd/view?usp=sharing
    Battle Start Event :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ooU-r_pCV-E_5MuqviRlJgLPLhLLxkua/view?usp=sharing

Start Game Event

Battle Start Event :

This setup just gets bugged, when I use combatant selection to place the warriors on the grid, the player is spawned at the battle component position in the scene and the warrior is spawned on the grid, but the thing is that the warrior is now set to Player and the Player prefab is set to just a combatant.
    Post edited by tribbles on
  • edited June 2019
    Yeah, that setup is wrong - you have to do the player hiding/removing from battle group in the start event, right after joining the active player group. Also, you don't need to use a Set Player node there, as the first combatant joining the active player group is automatically used as the player.

So, do the hiding/removing in the start event, not in the battle start event. This only needs to be done once :)
    In case you want to check out an example - the mission grid battles project uses such a setup.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Wow I always over look the obvious! Thanks GiL , so much info its easy to miss it! Thanks!!!!
  • Yeah ... the problem with allowing you to control every aspect of the system is that it can get a bit overwhelming :)
  • Yeah I'm understanding that more and more :D