Hi! I've been scratching my head at a little design problem I'm having in ORK. I want to make the characters health show through hearts like in legend of zelda games (without the whole part of a heart business) or the more recent Druistone. I can see is pretty simple to make a classic health bar, but I can't find other health UI options. Anyone can help?
  • Have you thought about doing a few health status values? First for the first heart, second for the second, third for the third etc. Each would have a max value of 1.

In damage formula you check the value for the highest tier heart. If it is full you do damage to it, if it is not, then you repeat check for the lower tier.
  • Seems too convoluted for this kind of thing. I think it would cause problems more than solving them...
  • You haven't seen convoluted yet :)
  • edited July 2019
    Well, maybe not.

I did that in an early build of my game.

So make that bar a graphic with the maximum number of hearts you want the player to achieve. Just make sure the number of hearts you have divides evenly into the bar length in PX. Then have it crop the bar graphic based on current maximum HP.

I used it for ammo count.
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale : coming 2024
    Miuratale
  • You might want to check out the Value Bar settings of your status value - the Use Icons option is used for this.

You can e.g. have 1 icon represent 10 HP (or 10%, etc.), and also use the different value bar percent settings per icon to create Zelda-style hearts (Images Per Icon setting).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!