Hello everyone! Hello GiL!

First of all, deeply thanks for the tutorial: IT IS GREAT! While i was following each instruction, i felt like i was building something like FF or other old rpg games... it was a wonderful, nostalgic sensation! The tutorial is really well written and explained, even if i'm Italian i could understand everything very well. Thanks for your job!

At the moment, i'm pausing after finishing section 25 (i must rest a bit, if i could i would have run to the end in 1 day!). Everything was fine, i think the game i obtained is almost the same you should get following the tutorial, no big errors or huge differences.
I have encountered only some minor issue, so i'd like to get some explanations if it is possible. :)

- Tut 2. Menu/Shop section is only Menu now, in ORK F, right?

- Tut 5. With the spawner rotation, the player actually face forward, without looking at town direction, is it possible to let him spawn without seeing the rotation, or this is the right way (player spawning and then rotating with the camera)?

- Tut 10. Status condition image is different now i think (framework was updated maybe?)

- Tut 14. Here i encountered a bigger issues. I think i did everything correct, but i can't stop getting this error when i click on which part of the body the equipment is linked to: when i click right-hand for example, the framework freeze for some seconds, and changes can be lost if not saved. Just repeating this i could go on, but the error is still there. I paste errors i got, both with weapon either with armour.
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
ORKFramework.CombatantsSettings.WeaponEPChanged (Int32 index)
ORKFramework.DataHelper.WeaponEPChanged (Int32 index)
ORKFramework.Editor.WeaponsTab.ShowSettings ()
ORKFramework.Editor.WeaponsTab.ShowTab ()
ORKFramework.Editor.ORKEditorSection.ShowTab ()
ORKFramework.Editor.ORKEditorWindow.OnGUI ()
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
ORKFramework.CombatantsSettings.ArmorEPChanged (Int32 index)
ORKFramework.DataHelper.ArmorEPChanged (Int32 index)
ORKFramework.Editor.ArmorsTab.ShowSettings ()
ORKFramework.Editor.ArmorsTab.ShowTab ()
ORKFramework.Editor.ORKEditorSection.ShowTab ()
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
Could it be for not having Blender installed on my Mac? When i firstly imported the tutorial resources i got some warnings about blender, and some models are purple with no texture on them....

What is Phase? i remember to have not clicked it on a setting, but i can't find it back.. is it relevant?

22. In The simple effect with calculation, you set time 5 saying you obtain 10 seconds wait, how does it happen.
PS: what is calculation in event? Could i get a basic explanation? :)

Battling Evil Pants, when he casts Boost (very often, is it correct?) Strenghten and Speed up are stuck on each other, and it is difficult to read, is it possible to split them, or let them appear in order?

25. Why on the escape event you set 50% on moving camera position on death? Cannot understand this passage...
And why my escape option is gray, and i cannot use it? Could i forget some setting anywhere?
Everything else seems ok.

Thanks, and sorry for the extremely long post...

I will update it if get some other issues! :)
  • Tutorial 2: You're correct, that's now only Menu Settings, I've updated the info now.

Tutorial 5: The player isn't rotating with the camera, he can optionally use the rotation of the spawn point when spawned (that's how it is set up in the tutorial). Without using the spawn point's rotation, the player will face north (i.e. rotation = 0).
    Usually, you'll want your player to already look into the correct direction when he comes from a different scene, that's what the rotation settings are there for :)

Tutorial 10: Yeah, there have been some updates here and there - the described settings should be the same though.

Tutorial 14: Seems like a bug, I'll fix it in the next update - from what I can tell it shouldn't corrupt your data.

Tutorial 22: That's just a small typo - the prefab will be destroyed after the defined 5 seconds :)
    Calculation in battle events refers to calculating the actual damage/effect an action has, e.g. for an ability action, it would calculate the status changes for user and target as they're set up in the ability's settings.

To separate the status effect texts, you can use a random offset - this can be done in Battle System > Battle Texts in the Status Effect Text settings.

Tutorial 25: The 50 % chance for the camera change is simply to have some variation in the event. Sometimes it will perform a camera change for the actions, sometimes it wont ...
    The escape option is gray because it can't be used - check your battle's inspector if the Can Escape option is disabled.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for the answer, really! :)
    I understood everything, and thats surely a goal for me! Just one thing, about tutorial 5 i wasn't clear enough: what i mean is, can the player just spawn facing the fields, or is it forced to do the rotation movement? When it moves from town to field you can see it turning to the right direction, can't he simple spawn already facing that direction, without noticing the rotation? I'm just curious, it is already perfect this way!

Thanks again GiL, your tutorial is so nice! :)
  • Actually, I don't have a rotation there ... he should already spawn with the correct rotation.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • No problem, i must have messed with settings. ^^

About tutorial, i completed this morning the 47th section! First of all, it is great, really! Let me repeat it, even if i am a newbie in scripting/Unity etc... i would and i will advice this to anyone interested in the genre: possibilities are endless and learning curve is perfect!

As i completed the available tutorials, i will report issues i found:

Tutorial 28.
    1)Show text in Bonus settings, is it show notification in newer version of ORK?
    2) While water spells is perfect, fire particles stay on the ground after the battle is finished. Did i make an error or there is something to check in event?
    3) I tried some battles, and i noticed some things. I obtained level 10 (got a notification) while fighting a group of 2 enemy, after killing first one. Is it correct? Then, trees must be visualized in battle (it was quite messy in area where enemy spawns, after battle starts)? Last, i had an encountered when i was climbing mountains, the battle stopped while performing a returning animation after an attack.. Could it be because player couldn't come back to his position?

Tutorial 31. I got this error while using damage dealers (btw, i didn't understand them completely ^_^)
    InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
    System.Collections.Stack.Peek () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections/Stack.cs:321)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.EndLayoutGroup ()
    UnityEngine.GUILayout.EndHorizontal ()
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.EndHorizontal ()
    Tutorial 32. Must "use shortcut slot" option be enabled?

Tutorial 33. I had problems here, i can fight enemy with attack, clicking space, but they don't make any move, no animation, and after they are killed (i understood that from battle gains) they are standing still where battle started)

Tutorial 37. Last part, where you describe Menu Backgrounds, is it just an explanation or have i to change something?

Tutorial 39. In the event, there should be a choice where i can say YES/NO about having found the pants... I can click just YES if i already got them, but i cannot choose YES/NO if i haven't got them yet (so the part "Hey, you don’t have them!" its not displayed...)

Tutorial 40. First Battle event of scene (first added, "no-escape" one), must happen even after save? even if i put a save point in Filed Scene and already did it?

Tutorial 41. I can exit from Shop: i tried to add a BACK button there on type box, problem is that i just click on an item of the list, without changing category, i can exit with no problem, but if i change category too (ie. scrolls and potions) the character is stucked with this error
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    ORKFramework.Shop.ShopScreen.SelectionChanged (Int32 index, ORKFramework.GUIBox origin)
    ORKFramework.Shop.ShopScreen.FocusGained (ORKFramework.GUIBox origin)
    ORKFramework.GUIBoxContent.FocusGained ()
    ORKFramework.GUIHandler.set_Focus (ORKFramework.GUIBox value)
    ORKFramework.GUIHandler.RemoveBox (ORKFramework.GUIBox box)
    In tutorial 41 i had another small issues: buying option small window (quantity etc...) is always displayed in the background, empty. How to sort that? Can i display it, in the center, not in background, only if i select an item?

Tutorial 42. Shouldn't it be changingDialogue instead of changingEvent?

Tutorial 45. I see Interact on player also, each time i pass the mouse on it, is it correct? Can't Interaction window be removed on player?

Tutorial 47. Second recipe should be named Fire Sword Recipe i think
    Isn't there a back button on recipe list? I can go back from displaying materials to recipe list, but then i cannot exit from that list (nor go back to crafting professions list, neither exit from crafting menu itself...)

And a thing, i must have made an error, some times i enter 2nd battle in Field scene (the one with 2 combatants, warrior and mage) as soon as i enter the scene, could you tell me where could be the mistake?

Besides these things, and they are not fatal (my prototype is quite good!) Tutorial allowed me to learn so many features! Thanks again GiL! :)
  • Hi, I'd like to chip in a little with the tutorial discussion.

To start, I am LOVING how this is put together. It's really informative in both a general game design and software explanation kinda way :D

However, I've just spent an age wondering why my player wouldn't return back to his user base, and it's due to a slightly unclear part of the tutorial. Could be based on my browser font, but in section 16: Battle Spots the negative values are really difficult to see. Such a silly error on my part, but really have to squint to see the '-'.

Section 5 I have the same issue as above. The camera 'moves/rotates' and clips for a second when loading the field. Would be great to be able to speed up that initial rotation so you couldn't see it.

Amazing work on this. Loving it.