So I have this world map that I'd like to turn into a survival 'minigame' as you travel from area to area. Essentially you have to balance Hunger, Thirst, and Fatigue. you also can choose to camp, and gather resources.
Right now I just have a series of dialogue boxes where you make choices and it feels pretty... tech demo-ish.
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what kind of GUI I could go with.

I also have a question, I want the player to be able to pick which area to travel to by simply clicking on the orbs, which then brings up the travel information. However I'm not sure how because this camera is VERY far away from the objects and my character is hidden away under the world. So I need a way to have clickable elements that ignore the players interaction distance...
Miuratale : coming 2024
Miuratale
  • Conceptually take a look at Pathfinder: Kingmaker (21:22).
    Or Banner Saga: (35:21)
    Technically, if you want player dummy to navigate through actual city blocks, I would make a separate map with a low poly/small version of the map, use nav mesh as player navigation tool and then probably overlay custom unity UI in world canvas over that map.
    Even if you don't know scripting or Unity UI it should not be hard to make simple world-map like that, and you can use unity button events to call ORK Event interactions and handle the rest from ORK/Makinom Events.

• Why don't you just increase players interaction distance? You can also put some object into no raycast layer, so you can click through them.
  • No need to increase the distance, have the event set to Override Click Distance and set it to -1 (i.e. no distance limit).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited July 2019
    Oh the Pathfinder world map navigation looks WAY easier than how I was about to try and handle it. Thank you a lot for that. Man, I was about to waste a LOT of time...
    The navmesh Idea might actually work too... Great alternatives either way.

The challenge im facing is figure out the distance between these nodes which I was handling with cumbersome variable checks. (If player is at Location A, and the player chooses location D then this is the exact amount of resource cost) Last night I realized, that was a really bad way to do it.
    I guess I could calculate the distance between the nodes and use that to somehow formulate the hunger/thirst/fatigue/time cost...
    Then use a navmesh target and a series of navemesh corridors for the travelling section.

And thanks GIL good to know I can do that instead!

One last thing, when the player enters the world map I did a series of "Game variable check" nodes to figure out where to place the player. So it was like "Game variable check : Is player at location A" If fail... do another variable check.. and if fail do another.
    It was a ton of nodes.
    Is there a better way to place the player at their current world map location?
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • edited July 2019
    The Navmesh method worked wonders. I made a bunch of cubes that connected each area-node on the world map, baked the navmesh and disabled the renderer. I attached a big icon to the player. When the player chooses to travel it sets a nav mesh marker and tests the distance from the player to the destination node, I then take that distance and divided it to calculate the food/thirst/fatigue cost for the trip. On the way to their location they run into 'events' that are just event interactions : on trigger enter. Where I test to see what random thing happens on the way.

I think I'm going to make the list of areas you travel to a full screen guibox and place each button next to it's respective node. After some polishing I think it'll come out looking and functioning nice.

MUCH better and faster all around.

Edit : Okay still needs work, hah.. Going to be experimenting for a bit.

Really appreciate it guys.
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • You can remember the player position per scene using a Set Scene Position node, so it's easy to return to the position on the world map. Just like fighting in a different scene.

Otherwise, you can use spawn points :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ah, that's perfect. Thank you.
    The new method will be relying heavily on that.
    Miuratale
  • Miuratale : coming 2024
    Miuratale