I'm struggling a bit to figure out how to best implement jump height in a tactics RPG.

I see that we can adjust the Move Range of combatants individually, and apply buffs to them in various ways, but I'm not seeing a way to adjust the Max Upward Distance of combatants outside of global Battle Grid Settings.

I'm using a tile based tactics map, like Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre:

My ideal would be to access the Max Upward Distance on a per-combatant level, just like the Move Range, in order to temporarily or permanently buff the combatant's "Jump Height."

I've played around with using a custom Status and tried writing my own move events in the node editor, but unless I'm mistaken, battle events that contain logic for Change Position don't affect pathfinding, so if height was restricted via battle event logic, the movement indicators wouldn't match how far a combatant actually could go.

Is this something I'd need to edit the source to best implement?

I'm looking forward to hearing if anyone else has had success figuring this out and how you went about it. I have a few ideas that I'll test over the next week and update once I've figured it out either way.
  • I did find that you can override individual combatant's "Limit Height Movement" in the combatant's Grid Settings:

But unlike the Base Grid Move Range, it can't be set to a variable?
  • So I figured something out kindof works, but there's a major issue.

I attached a simple script to the prefab that checks for the current status value of my Jump Height status, and then sets the Combatant's Setting.gridMoveHeightLimit.maxUpwardDistance to the Jump Height status.

This totally works - it lets me buff the combatant's jump height via abilities or status effects and such.

The problem is that it's not instanced per clone. All clones of Brown Pants, for example, have their jump height affected when one of them gets a jump height buff.

So I guess I need to be able to access a combatant's gridMoveHeightLimit as something other than a Setting... as a Bonus, similar to the Grid Move Range Bonus? I'm not sure if that's possible currently with ORK?

• I'll look into a solution for this.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Awesome. I was just thinking about a feature request. I think this will be useful in many situations:

Could we set Grid Move Range, horizontal and vertical, to status values? If I understand correctly, this would allow us to buff or permanently grow these values per combatant, and update grid pathfinding without a lot of complicated event management.
  • The height limit value fields will be replaced by float value selections in the next update. You can e.g. use a formula to use status values.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Cool, can't wait to try it out.