Okay so I have a setup where the player can choose to "Talk" "Steal" or "Threaten" any interactable NPC.
These are just handled using a dialogue option when interacting. Steal then uses a formula with a 'DC' to test if the player succeeds.

I have 2 questions atm.

1. When I use the steal event, can I just have it use a 'steal' ability? Atm I have it hardcoded based on the NPC, which won't work in the long run. I just want to set up NPC's with a start inventory that the player can then attempt to steal from whenever (outside of combat)

2. How do I handle the player getting caught? Basically I'd like for any NPC witnessing the crime to potentially catch the player in the act and start combat, however I don't know if that's possible. I'd need it to check if any NPC's are looking in the players direction when they attempt it.
Miuratale : coming 2024
Miuratale
  • edited August 2019
    1) Yes, using an Use Ability Calculation node. Or using an actual ability with battle events (Use Battle Action node, naturally needs the player to have the ability).

2) That's a bit more complex and needs to either be handled by your game event (when only doing calculation) or the steal ability's battle events (when using the actual action).
    You'd have to:
    - search/find all NPCs nearby
    - check if they're looking into that general direction (e.g. using a Check Orientation node)
    - maybe do a raycast to see if they can see the player without anything in between

Using Makinom might be a better choice for this instead of using ORK's event system, but it'd work pretty much the same. In Makinom, you could e.g. have that mechanic in a trigger machine on the NPCs and just trigger it if they're nearby when the player steals.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Do Makinom and Ork work together or are they totally separate? For instance, can I have the results of a Makinom check referenced by an Ork event?
    Miuratale : coming 2024
    Miuratale
  • They're separate products but can work together using the connection plugin.

You can transfer variables between them in the event system (ORK) and schematics (Makinom). E.g. if an ORK event starts a Makinom schematic, the schematic can report back results this way.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!