• How do you call the reload ability? Especially during battle, using/firing abilities will depend on the used system and state of the battle. If you just want to do the calculation, you can use the Use Ability Calculation node :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited October 2019
    Yeah it's an ability that runs through an event that checks which weapon the player has equipped and changes a specific ammo status value and removes 1 ammo (repeats intill magazine is full or player runs out of ammo).

So I just need it to do that. The problem is that it's a battle event and I can't call a battle event from a game/global event. I tried using ability calculation, but the problem is that I think that ignores the battle animation for that ability, thus not actually reloading the weapons.

Now I don't see any reason why this HAS to be a battle event though. Can I copy a battle event and just quickly turn it into a game event? Because the reload ability doesn't target an enemy or do anything that a game event cant do. It just does a weapon check, removes stuff from inventory and changes a status value.

... OR I could just make a "field only" ability called "Reload all", could I make that HUD button use an ability?
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale : coming 2024
    Miuratale
  • Using abilities during battle is tricky - as said, this always depends on the state of the system.
    You can't turn a battle event into a game event, so you'll just have to recreate it.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I got it to work. There is a "Use battle action" node for global/game events. Because Reload is a self targeted field ability, it seems to work just fine! :D
    Miuratale
  • edited October 2019
    Okay, new one!
    I want to let my characters use secondary weapons, the problem is that all animations were made with 1 hand. Obviously if they are holding a gun in the main hand, and a knife in the offhand the animation would play "Stab" for the main hand.

Is there a built in way to mirror an animation for offhand weapons?

2. Is there a way to have the player always face the direction of the mouse pointer? I'm having conflicting issues with interactions.. So the solution Id like is to use an interaction controller, but only if I can get the player to face the direction the mouse pointer is in. This would solve a lot of issues I'm having.
    Basically I have such a weird blend of point-and-click gameplay and top-down-rpg that the usual solutions to interactions don't really fit.
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • 1) I don't know if there's Unity functionality for that, but there's definitely nothing in ORK :)
    You'd have to use own attacks in the weapon which checks on which equipment part it's equipped and plays a different animation based on that (battle events).

2) Use a Raycast To Variable node (Screen ray origin and Use Mouse Position enabled, using the layers that should be hit) to get the position of the cursor in your scene and a Rotate To node to rotate the player to the position stored in the variable you've used.
  • Ah thanks! I'll have to mess around with that soon.

Is there a way for a UI element to not fade out when using Screen Fade?
    I want the dialogue to be unaffected by the fade effect.
    Miuratale
  • Yes, via GUI Layers - make sure the GUI box of that UI element is above the screen fader, which is either after the last GUI layer or after the layer which has Screen Fader enabled.
  • edited October 2019
    Thank ya! Slowly getting everything working the way I want :)

Trying to think about how to do weapon mods next.
    Can you tie a variable to a weapon? So I can have a float value : "Mod 1" Mod 2" that each equipable weapon will have? Then I can change which battle event plays

2) Rotate to the mouse : Would that be an event that is set to auto-start on the player prefab?
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • Check out the Equipment Variables in your weapons/armors to have variables on your equipment.
    An alternative solution for mods would be having your weapons (or armors) adding additional equipment parts via their Equipment Part Changes settings and adding the mods as actual equipment.

2) If it should happen constantly, yes, and I'd recommend using a loop in the event to continue doing that. Set up a loop by adding a Wait node with 0 second wait (i.e. continues next frame) which connects back to the first node to restart the event.
    Generally, it'd probably be better to have a custom control that does this instead of an event :)
  • edited October 2019
    gamingislove said: An alternative solution for mods would be having your weapons (or armors) adding additional equipment parts via their Equipment Part Changes settings and adding the mods as actual equipment.
    Cool, so I'd prefer that, and it's how I use magazines. BUT, how do I hide those equipment parts intill the combatant is able to use them? (IE,only whenever the weapon is equipped)

4) So I have this little scene where the players ally runs off to look at something. I switch MoveAI off of Follow and give him a navmesh target.. This works fine the other times ive used it, but for some reason, on this scene, once he reaches his waypoint he just starts jittering and doesn't come to a complete stop. The walk animation just keeps repeating over and over again every few frames.
    Again, I've done this exact same thing multiple times before in other scenes and it worked fine.. So I'm not sure what's going on.
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • edited October 2019
    As said, using the Equipment Part Changes settings of the weapon (or armor) will allow you to do that. E.g. a weapon that adds Mod 1 part will have that equipment part available while being equipped.
    So, you can also set up different equipment parts for different weapons, e.g. pistols having pistol mod 1, pistol mod 2, etc. and rifles having rifle mod 1, 2, etc.

4) Sounds like the combatant isn't able to reach the target and keeps trying. Try using the Auto Stop Settings of the move AI (in the base settings).
    Alternatively for these scenarios, you can also simply disable the move AI of the combatant (Block Move AI node) and set the navmesh target (e.g. via event), as the agent is still working and moving even when the move AI is disabled.
    The move AI is simply determining a target to move to :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • edited October 2019
    Yeah, I understand that, but they all show up in my character sheet. (Magazine : Mod 1 : Mod 2) even if the player has nothing equipped. I'd like them only to be visible slots whenever the valid weapon is equipped. So you don't see equipment slots that you can't use.

4) Hrmm, yeah I've tried that too. It's like no matter what the settings are he never comes to a stop, but only on this 1 scene.

The only thing I can think of that's notably different is that this scene uses Terrain instead of geometry for navigation. Could that cause nav-mesh issues?
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • Hm, that's strange - in that case I'd guess that you also enabled those equipment parts for the combatant/class?
    Otherwise, not available parts would only be displayed by menus if you also show the unavailable parts (but not accessible).

4) Maybe, I'm not that much of an expert on the inner workings of navmesh :)
  • So I'm having a new issue to where if I have a battle event that has more than 1 calculate and the first misses, it doesn't finish the battle event. The animation stops playing (but the movements still happen) and it doesnt calculate the second attack.
    Miuratale