• Do they all have the same variable condition?
    Also, keep in mind that using scene ID can also prevent spawning, e.g. if the combatant was already defeated, the spawner's scene ID is set and the combatant will not appear again.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • So they are combatants that are not hostile with event/colliders that teleport to a battle arena where, after a victory, a variable changes, deleting that world map combatant.

So they are basically just placeholder/random battle carriers

I'm doing it that way so that I can respawn them whenever the player camps in till a specific variable (completing a specific mission) is set and then they will stop spawning from then on. Kind of dark-souls-ish but with a turn based twist.
    Miuratale : coming 2024
    Miuratale
  • Hm, are the variable conditions valid when first loading the scene?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • a init event sets them for the first time when first entering scene, but i have all the combatant spawners wait between 2-7 seconds before running
    Miuratale
  • Yeah, that might be your problem - the variable conditions are checked on scene load.

However, you can set it up differently, using a Game Object Manager or a Component Manager (to only enable/disable the spawner components).
  • Ah okay, that's no biggie. i can initiate the variables right before you get to the world map.
    Miuratale
  • Hey how do I keep a combat HUD showing even when a battle menu is up?
    Miuratale
  • That'd actually be the default behaviour, so you must have set it up in the Display Conditions of the combatant HUD, maybe via a status requirement checking for Is Choosing?
  • edited January 2020
    I just added a fully custom character controller with it's own input manager and animation manager. I turned off player controls in game/controls.

Will Block player controls / input keys still work?

Also, before, I was using auto animation and "stop auto animation" in order to play combat animations cleanly. I'm guessing that wont work anymore with this right?

Edit : Just going to delete the character and spawn a puppet for cutscenes.

Is there a way to delay damage from a damage dealer? Basically I want to base my damage event on how much health the enemy had before and after getting hit, so i can spawn an appropriate amount of blood prefabs.
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • Try using the Animate Action settings in your ability's (or item's) Damage Dealer Settings. This allows you to use battle events when the damage dealer hits something - you'll need to use a Calculate node in them to do the actual damage.
  • that's awesome. perfect
    Miuratale
  • So switching back to realtime, my enemy has a damage dealer, his event activates it, and it has a collider.. but he isn't able to damage me unless im also attacking. Did I miss something while setting this up?
    Miuratale
  • Probably :)

Make sure that the damage dealer has enough time to do damage, e.g. when using auto activation and the battle event doesn't have any wait time, the damage dealer would be enabled and disabled in the same frame.

Also, since damage dealers do damage by recognizing damage zones using Unity's phyics (e.g. trigger enter or collider enter), make sure that that's possible. E.g. at least one of them has to also have a rigidbody attached.
  • edited January 2020

So in this video I have it as part of the damage effects to check for a status effect and if its there to play an animation. (it's not immediate, there's like 0.5 seconds so that the status effect has a chance to happen)

It's for the gravity slam ability, but as you can see, both times I use it, the enemies start to animate, but skip the rest of it and go straight to idle. It's clearly working because the 'slam to ground' animation begins to play, but they skip the stand back up part.

any ideas on that? because I wanted to continue to make the damage event more robust based on how hurt the enemies are as well, but I'd need to fix this issues first.

Lastly, how do I make a ability deal damage to anyone near it, including the player?
    I have a grenade ability that spawns a prefab with a damage dealer on it that I want to hurt anyone
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • If the status effect was added by the ability (i.e. when using the Calculate node), the effect will be added immediately, i.e. it should check out right after the node.

As for the animations - I guess you're using Mecanim? It'll most likely be an issue with your animator controller and/or ORK's auto animations.
    I'd recommend to either disable auto animations on the combatant before the animation is played and enable it afterwards (Auto Animation node). Or, stop using auto animations completely (disable it in the combatant's settings) and pass on the combatant's move speed to the animator controller as a parameter via the Set Horizontal Speed settings in the ORK animation settings and control idle/move animations based on that in your animator controller.

As for an ability damaging everyone, you'd use the All target type for that.