edited May 2014 in Showcase
The Death Avengers Project

My goal is to keep this thread updated with logs of my work, tips of what I learn along the way(see in bold / italics), and just general information about this game.

Backstory

I started this game a couple years ago as a pure html5 / js game, as technology got better I started looking into upgrading it to gamesalad, or another html 5 engine so I could port to mobile. Eventually a friend sold me on unity, and then I found this plugin and here we are. My goal is to create this game in under a couple months and launch it.

The Game

DeathAvengers is an Action RPG, with a gripping story line, great character development, easter eggs, plot twists, and an ending no one will expect. The original game allowed additional zombies to join your rpg battle, making both your speed in battle, and your decisions when to enter battle as extremely critical. Something I hope to mimic in this engine...

Like other Zombie games, crafting will be a critical part of DeathAvengers. Multiple factions will exist, and different story lines will emerge depending on who you aline with. Set in a modern day setting, you will find yourself relating to the main character Baxter Stone on a regular basis, making his life story hit close to home.

The Story

It`s the one year anniversary of the Second Limb Project. 128 patients of the project are gathering for the Second Limb Convention. Each of these patients received a limb grown from stem cells by the state of the art technology company BioCross. The convention was meant as a celebration of the success of the project, not a single patient had rejected the limbs. From hands and fingers, to arms and legs, even livers and hearts had been grown for a few select patients.

Not all were rejoicing about the project. Some Radical Conservatives had protested the project since it`s creation, stating that it was an abomination, playing with the creations of God... Despite the minority few who were opposed to the group, a vast majority of the country was in support of Second Limb, and the opening night speech was being broadcast on national television.

As the president of BioCross took the podium, the world was shocked as one explosion went off, and then another. Applause turned to screams and camera feeds went black. Over the first hour, the world was fixated on predictable coverage, as the news talked terrorist attacks and the world watched for any glimmer of hope of rescues. Then it happened. Rescuers started rushing out of the building. Speculation began that the building might be collapsing, and then.. bodies... spilling out of the stadium... Mass pandemonium breaks out, as the unthinkable happens on live tv. Over the next 48 hours, there were bombings, martial law, evacuations... It didn`t matter. Something was spreading.. and nothing could stop it.

Baxter Stone, remembers watching the scenes unfold from his 2nd floor apartment in a small suburb outside of downtown. It all happened so fast. Phone lines were overwhelmed before anyone knew what was happening, he had no chance to connect with friends and family in the area. As soon as thoughts of trying to find any of them came to mind, swarms were moving south, and he had barely enough time to grab a few things and hop in his car...

Baxter was lucky. He managed to connect with a group of survivors, and find a small refuge camp. He was one of the few... Over the next eight months, he had nothing but time to think about his loved ones. The stories that came in, and the lack of survivors gave him little hope. After 8 months of ready to eat meals, and living in the same half mile cage, something snapped.. The hurt of what happened, turned into anger, which turned into malice. Why did this happen, why did the world have to turn out this way. He realized how good he had it, but all too late. He had no idea how he was going to do it, but he made the decision, he had to leave.. He had to face death, and take a chance of finding truth..

The story picks up as baxter leaves the refuge camp to check out what is left of the world. Shortly after leaving he comes across an emaciated zombie. In agony, and yet so violent, he is overwhelmed. He feels like he only has one option... Find his family. If they are alive, then he has a reason to live, and if they are dead... There was no way he could let them continue as zombies.. He must end their existence, and give them peace...

It is this journey, to find his family, or end them, an investigator, and a bounty hunter... That leads him into adventures so much more beyond what he imagined when he left those gates... This is your opportunity to live out his incredible story...

• Here are a few early screen shots:

• Spent today cleaning up the UI a bit, and working on the first zone.

TIP: Turn off scaling for the UI to get more accurate visuals(Game -> Game Settings -> Base Settings -> set GUI Scale Mode to No Scale)

Decided to make the first zone a water treatment facility. Seemed like a more feasible location to take refuge...

Added a river to my first zone, using the unity pro daytime water. also added an animated zombie outside the first zone. I plan on adding several more to give a more realistic appearance to the camp.

Had to trim down my trees and bushes a tad for performance issues.

• Sounds good man, keep at it.