Hi there, I've been working on a game prototype for some time and was interested in finding out if a cover system like the one in XCOM games would be possible in Ork Framework in its current state. The game is turn-based in grids and uses a modified version of d&d combat rules, so combatants being able to detect in which squares they have cover and if that cover is being flanked by an enemy would be inmensely helpful. Any advice?
  • Hm ... I don't think that's currently possible.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I mean that you have cover (bonuses to some stats like evasion and such) when you are in certain squares and you can pre-determined which squares give cover in some directions and which don't to match with the props placement and level design. Like this:
  • edited December 2019
    Hmm, after thinking a bit more about it ...

You can give bonuses (or do other stuff) via the Cell Events (e.g. adding a cover status effect).
    Basing this on direction or position to enemies isn't possible, although you might be able to do it using a game event as a cell event (but that wouldn't update if e.g. an enemy moves).

Also, letting AI controlled combatants know about cover to move into cover could be done via having cover cells (grid cell type), as the AI can check for that and move to specific cell types (battle AI).
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Mmm, that could be some sort of fix yeah. One last doubt I had for this system to kind of work was: when doing range attacks, can I control when it cannot reach the target due to an obstacle in the way? For example an arrow attack wouldn't hit someone behind a corner, but a splash attack that affects multiple targets like a fireball would.
  • That should be doable via the Line of Sight settings of the used battle range (template).

The arrow attack would use line of sight, so a combatant behind a cover (i.e. a cell blocking line of sight) wouldn't be available as target.
    The splash (i.e. affect range of the ability) wouldn't use line of sight and would hit everything within range. Naturally, you can also have the splash's range use line of sight :)
  • Thanks so much! That was really helpful. It would be nice if Ork could have a template for a cover system in the future as it has become the norm in most 3D TRPG games with grids nowadays, but this workaround is a good second option for the moment.
  • Also, I just remembered. Are there any plans to update the grid project to Unity 2019? I use it as a base for development but it creates many errors when manually updating the project so I have been stuck in Unity 2018 for the moment :(
  • There's a separate download for Unity 2019 available on the mission grid battles page :)

As for a built-in cover system - maybe that'll come sometime in the future, but I can't promise anything.