So i was looking into using asset bundles for all of my assets, and the unity website says that they are now deprecated in favour of addressable assets.

Whats your recommendation here? Should I hold on converting to asset bundles, or are they the best answer?
  • Asset bundles are not deprecated. They only deprecated the manager - asset bundles are still available and actually also part of the addressables (AFAIK).

My recommendation is: Don't worry about it during (early) development :)
    While you're just throwing stuff together and testing in the editor, there's nothing to worry about, as ORK's asset source system allows you to easily switch between reference and asset bundles.

But yeah, asset bundles is the way to go to reduce memory allocation and load times. In case you haven't read it yet, the asset sources how-to has some information on the topic and also a download for a small script to create your asset bundles.
    If you're delivering your bundles with the game, I'd highly recommend using the Uncompressed asset bundle creation, as that'll increase the load times when having to load an asset bundle (as it Unity doesn't need to decompress it).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ok perfect, thanks!