Is it possible in grid battle system for an ability to create an area with a lasting effect for a certain amount of turns? Like a poison cloud ability with effect over like 4 grid squares that can poison you if you enter it but last like 3 turns or an aura around a character that gives a defense bonus to allies in nearby grid squares while activated but consumes something each turn and things like that?
  • That would be cool. Like a way to modify grid cell data via ability and add temp stuff.
    Besides that I guess the only option would be to spawn "OnTriggerEnter" event objects that add status effects to everyone who touches it. Not sure how to match them to each grid cube and how to pass turn data.
  • Hm, no currently not - only as @hellwalker said, using event interactions (or environmental damage dealers).

I'll look into adding temporary cell events :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • What about changing the cell type with an ability and associating certain cell types with specific effects like damage, buffs/debuffs and so on? For things like a poison cloud this could go with popping the particle system of vfx over the affected grids? The thing I don't know how to do is the turn timer for those effects, isn't there any workaround?
  • Since you can't change the cell type via the event system, you already have to do this with custom scripts - in which case you could already add a cell event to the cell instead :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Adding temporary cell events sounds great. This could lead to recreating classical DnD spells like Stinking Cloud or Web.
  • Temporary grid cell events will be coming in the next update - can be added via the event system and automatically removed after a defined number of turns (in turn based or phase battles only) or a defined duration.
  • That's awesome! You really are working hard! Could event system be used to add temporary grid cells only if other temporary grid cells are present at the given cell or to remove temporary grid cell?
  • I guess you mean temporary grid cell events? :D

Hm, not yet, but I could add that - would work via a defined key to identify the event, though.
    E.g. adding a grid cell event that adds a poison status effect could use the key poison to identify it.
  • Yes that was what I meant. Sorry I sometimes communicate too much using mental shortcuts and then no one understands me.

That would be great if you do.