edited June 2014 in ORK Support
So I have been playing around with ORK trying to set up a system where the player learns certain abilities through the collecting and crafting of "pages"(inventory items).

Here is an example.
say the player has the technique pages for Uppercut, Flame1, Explode1, and Jump2. These can be crafted together to yield custom 'technique book', that when equipped to the characters "special Attack" slot, will give the character the ability to perform an uppercut with flaming fists that impacts the enemy twice going upwards and ends in an explosion. "Flaming double Uppercut."
alternatively each page can be equipped individually for its own ability.

I am currently unsure hot to set things up so that having a certain item in the inventory gives the player access to a certain ability and its respective animation. I have already set up the Item and crafting elements of the system, and I also have most of the basic animations ready as well. is there a how-to or tutorial that I've overlooked on this matter, or can someone give me a few helpful hints?
Post edited by gamingislove on
  • Items can teach abilities to combatants by using them on them, but not by having them in the inventory. The Ability Settings in the item's Use Settings handle that.

Maybe you should use equipment for that. Equipment can add abilities to combatants while it's equipped - they can also be bound to requirements (e.g. level 10, HP > 50 %, etc.) to be available. You can set this up in a weapon or armor's Equipment Abilities settings.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks this did solve the problem and infact since ive become more familiar with the node editor I been able to accomplish exactly what I was after, and even found a better way to implement technique books.