• For this, you have to rotate the user to the selected cell - there's a setting for that in Battle Grid Settings > Target Cell Selection, enable Rotate To Cell.
    That should also rotate the affect ranges when they're using the user.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • that does work, although it's also affecting the Use Range, which is rotating the targetable set of 3 hexes "in front" of the user as the users orientation rotates, making the ability place able anywhere within range 1 of the user instead of just the front three hexes.
  • Yeah ... that's how it works currently.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited April 2021
    I can work with that. I'll just change it to target any adjacent hex instead of one of the three in front. =)

Actually, limiting that sort of ability to only the front arch was kinda annoying by comparison to letting you just place it in any direction.
    Post edited by Whatexists on
  • Is there a way to make a consumable item that can be used to do a pre-built ability?

like, for example, one of the spells in the game is fireball, which your wizard can can cast, but you can also find scrolls of fireball that let anyone who uses them cast fireball once (preferably without it's normal mana/energy/mp cost) but get used up when used?
  • Of course there is a setting for this :D
    In the item's Use Settings you have Ability Settings for either learning or using an ability. When using an ability via an item, the use costs will not be used.
  • I KNEW there had to be a way to do it. I think my eyes must have slid over ability settings under use settings three or four times! Thank you so much!

for those do I need to set the target settings to be the same as the ability?
  • Not 100% sure, but I don't think so.
  • Alright. I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to get it to work right. I can make an item that has the same battle animations, target settings, and target changes (with use cost set to consume) that basically does the exact same thing as the fireball ability and works even if I have the Ability Settings under Use Settings set to None. But I haven't gotten them to work via the Ability Settings. Is there an example in any of the tutorials I could look over?
  • Not really much to do - set the item ability to Use and select the ability that should be used. When the item's changes are calcualted it'll use the ability's calculations as well (with same user/target as the item).
  • I actually don't know why it wasn't working before. I got it working just fine. =)

I do have another question, this is something I haven't tried to set up yet and it'll probably be easy. But basically I'm wondering how easy it would be to set something up where whenever a character "dies" they get an "Injured" status effect (or one of a random set of related status effects) that persists even after they've been revived until it gets healed by some means (such as by visiting a doctor)? Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age II have this system. I'm more specifically thinking about the way it works in Origins where each "injury" is one of a random set of status effects each with their own mechanical thing (i.e. Can't Critically Hit, Status Penalty, Reduced Move, etc). Ideally I'd want it to count the number of injuries you've got and include it in the semi-random calculation for what injury you could get so that as you get more and more injuries the new injuries start to be worse and worse (and getting harder and harder to heal! I.e. some of the 'lower level' ones will go away on their own whenever time moves forward in game, while medium level ones require a trip to the doctor, and high level ones require multiple doctor trips over time. Time increments in set chunks in this game triggered by specific events.)
  • Totally side note. I'm setting up some specific encounters. I want enemies to be placed at specific predefined locations on the grid. Should I use battle spots or grid formations for that? I'd kinda assume that I should use battle spots but hesitated because they don't appear to have settings for grid maps so do they like... snap to a grid if I place them at the right locations?
  • You can do that either in the death battle events for combatants, or use Auto Apply settings of the status effects to apply them via status requirement Death (or checking your health status value being 0/minimum value). The auto apply way doesn't allow for randomness, though.

The effects end based upon your setup, e.g. they probably shouldn't have End On Death enabled :)

As for enemies placed on specific cells - you can actually just set them up via the Combatant deployment type. Either directly in a grid cell type or on an individual cell via Own Deployment Cell settings.
  • Awesome. Thank you! I figured that doing it via the death battle events for combatants was probably the way to do it. But ORK is so robust that it usually has multiple ways you could do any particular thing. =)

Where are the Combatant deployment type and Own Deployment Cell settings? And on the Battle Component in the scene for my current test grid battle it's got Battle Spot Settings. What're those for?
  • The deployment settings are either in the grid cell type's settings (Battle System > Grid Cell Types), or on the individual cell game objects in your scene.

The Battle component's battle spots settings are mainly for regular (non-grid) battles, where you can define custom positions for the combatants. In grid battles, you could use battle spots to place combatants, which would use the nearest deployment/free cell to that battle spot.