edited November 2013 in ORK Support
After updating from beta10 to beta14a and rebuilding my HUDs I'm still having problems. Some of the HUD elements are just not appearing. This includes menus and event dialogues, but not area names or interaction dialogues. I copied over all the settings exactly and adjusted for the new options where appropriate. In addition to these problems I'm getting an error message when Pausing the game. I've tried changing all Pause related options that I can find with no change. The full error is below.

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Going to go back through the changelogs to see if I might have missed anything else.
ArgumentOutOfRangeException: < 0 || > this.Length
Parameter name: count
System.String.LastIndexOf (Char value, Int32 startIndex, Int32 count) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/String.cs:1311)
ORKFramework.Display.MultiContent..ctor (System.String text, UnityEngine.Texture2D startIcon, UnityEngine.GUIStyle textStyle, Rect textBounds, Single lineSpacing, TextAlignment alignment, VerticalTextAlignment vAlignment, Boolean scrollable, Boolean oneline, TextFormat textFormat)
ORKFramework.HUDText.CreateLabels (System.Collections.Generic.List`1& label, Rect displayBounds, UnityEngine.GUIStyle textStyle, ORKFramework.Combatant combatant)
ORKFramework.Display.MultiHUDContent..ctor (ORKFramework.HUDElement setting, UnityEngine.GUIStyle textStyle, ORKFramework.Combatant combatant)
ORKFramework.PrecalcHUDContent.CalculateContent (Single baseWidth, Boolean recalced)
ORKFramework.PrecalcHUDContent.Init (ORKFramework.GUIBox box)
ORKFramework.GUIBox.ShowGUI ()
ORKFramework.GUIHandler.ShowGUI (Boolean aboveScreenFader)
ORKFramework.LevelHandler.OnGUI ()
  • Please send me your ORK project file (usually in Assets/ORK Framework/ORKProject.asset) to contact@orkframework.com.

Also, check your menu screens, shops and other places where HUD elements are used :)

Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited November 2013
    That's what I've been doing. Kind of an arduous process o_o

(Sent the requested file via email)

Update: Going through menus, shops and HUDs again. Everything looks correct so far (with relation to what was working in beta10). Still getting the pause error. Pretty confused as to what I might be missing. Checked trigger button assignments for various things (like menu calls) just to make sure they weren't lost between updates. I wish there was a better way to look for errors =\

Update #2: Unable to locate the problem, I decided to start the process fresh from a backup. I'm upgrading in proper beta order (beta10->11->...->14a) to see if I can more easily track down the problems that way. Bleh.

Update #3: Updated to Beta11 from Beta10. Copied all missing settings for HUDs and above Pause Error still occurs. Found that some of the HUD elements that weren't displaying are due to missing text in HUD element text boxes. Corrected this by adding an " " (empty space) into the text boxes, but not 100% fix. Still have issues with menus not appearing. =\
    Post edited by poofdragon on
  • edited November 2013
    Found the pause bug - will be fixed in the next version.

Now looking into not appearing HUDs and menus - at least for the menus is seems like the requirements aren't right (or have a bug :D).

Edit:
    Ok, found it - it's a bug with the In Battle game state, will be fixed in the next version :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited November 2013
    Awesome. I've been working on this all day =\

Are there any settings I might change in order to workaround this problem? I'm guessing this isn't something everyone was seeing.
  • For the pause problem - increase the width of the HUD element.

For the other things - set the In Battle game state to Ignore.
  • edited November 2013
    Fixed the Pause issue and set my "In Battle" settings to "Ignore". This has fixed a few of the problems that I was seeing before, but I am still having problems with Menus not being displayed at all. Nothing happens whatsoever when I press the button to call the menus (no pausing, no screen changes, no loss of character control, no errors). I've gone through all the Menu settings and adjusted them for the changes in Beta11. I've checked all of the related GUI/HUD/Menu settings multiple times and everything looks like it should work.

Also, my "interaction" prompts are all broken. The text always appears at the top and cut off and I am unable to center the text (vertically or horizontally) within the box. There doesn't appear to be any settings to adjust for margins within the HUD settings. The only way to currently display the text without being clipped is to set "Outside Bounds", but that still leaves the problem of the text being in the wrong place. Tried adjusting all the settings I could find in the HUD and GUI Box options as well as playing around with the skin settings to adjust for the text offset. So far everything I've tried has resulted in the same issues.

Like I mentioned previously, this was all working great in beta10, but after copying over the settings to beta11 everything got hosed. I'm hesitant to update to any newer betas while I am unable to correct these existing problems.

A question about the difference between beta14 and beta14a: What exactly is supposed to have changed which would prevent ORK from working under Unity 4.2 vs. Unity 4.3? Everything related to 4.3 in the changelog refers to Mecanim. I'm using 4.3 with beta11 currently (installed it originally to update to beta14a) and the only problems that I'm having are the same issues that I had with beta14a (all related to GUI stuff). I'm not using any Mecanim so far.
  • Just wait for the next update which fixes those issues.

Have you changed the bounds of the "interaction" prompt element? That's what positions the text inside the GUI box.

The difference between beta14 and beta14a is the support for the new Mecanim function Animator.Play - since this function isn't available in Unity 4.2 it would throw errors.
    I haven't tried it - you'll most likely be able to use beta14a with Unity 4.2, but as soon as you try to use a functionality that's not available in Unity 4.2, your game will throw errors :)
  • I have tried changing the values in both the GUI and HUD. I can enable the box image in GUI and adjust the relative placement, but previously I was doing this through the HUD itself in order to adjust for varying string lengths (I reuse the same interaction GUI for various HUDs). Regardless of how I end up setting the interaction box image (GUI v. HUD), the HUD text is still cut off as it is placed at "TOP" regardless of the text alignment settings in the HUD. The only way I can see to fix this is to enable "Outside Bounds" within the interaction HUDs. Might be a bug similar to the "Name Box text is cut off" that I read about in one of the changelogs.

I'll take your advice and wait for the next beta to drop before becoming (any more) overly concerned with these GUI issues.
  • I'll do a test on that before releasing the next update.