Hello,
I'd like to play additional sounds besides the footstep sounds. By additional I mean not related to Footstep source and play side by side with what Footstepper already playing.
An example might be sounds of moving cloth in addition to already playing Footstep source audio while the character is walking.

There are others ways to achieve this but I want to play character movement audio from same component if possible.
This might be out of scope of the asset and I'd understand that.

Thanks
  • Hm, I'd say this would require a 2nd Footstepper attached to your game object using the following setup:
    - enable Auto Play
    - set the Layer Mask to Nothing (i.e. it can't find footsteps from other sources)
    - select a Fallback Material that contains the sound you want to play (can also use walk/run/sprint based on speed)

The rest of the setup depends on your needs - but the basic idea would be to have the footstepper play sounds based on the movement speed without raycasting for the ground's effects.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for the help.
    I couldn't make the fallback material to play and looked at your code.
    I'm not a good coder like you but I don't understand how fallback material is returned in my case since I'm not using raycast. FootstepEffect method always returned null.
    I tried taking the //fallback portion out of the "result" check and used else if
    and it worked but I'm not sure it is the right thing to do.

public virtual FootstepEffect FindFootstep(...)
    {
    RaycastResult result = this.Raycast(foot);
    if(result != null)
    {...
    // fallback
    if (this.fallbackMaterial != null)
    {
    return this.fallbackMaterial.GetEffect(this.effectTag);
    }
    }
    return null;
    }
  • Ah, yeah, you're right - without a raycast hit there's no fallback used, as it interprets it as not stepping on anything.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • So is this a confirmed bug? Just wondering if this is coming in an update or I need to make this change on my end.
  • No, not a bug, that's how it's intended to be - as you don't want to play a fallback effect if e.g. the foot isn't actually hitting something on the ground.

I'll add an option to play fallback even without a raycast hit in the next update. It'll be some time before I release a new update on the asset store, so if you need that sooner, you can contact me via email (contact@orkframework.com) to get it, but include your order/invoice number from the asset store :)