edited February 2020 in ORK Support
I've been hesitant to post this since it seems to be a simple task, but a week plus and I can't get damage dealers to do anything (I seem to have done the "fireball" tutorial so many times)

I've basically got:
- prefab, weapon: Sphere collider (trigger TRUE), Damage Dealer, Rigid Body, action tag, Collision Type On Trigger
- prefab, combatant : Sphere collider (trigger FALSE), Rigid Body
- battle event. Spawns weapon prefab,activates damage dealer using same action tag as weapon. Few other things for "effects"
- ability, animate action attached to battle event, Use Cost and Target Changes
- shortcut etc

The ability appears on the shortcut bar (My own and the ORK one)
Ability is grayed out if Use Cost cannot be fulfilled
Ability can be fired when resources available to use it.
Resources associated to ability are consumed (and then begin to fill up, have a Status Effect elsewhere) when used
Battle Event works well, spawns prefabs, animates them, moves them along path away from player as expected
-- and that's it, it never "damages" the target

I have tried enabling Damage Dealer (Script) | Destroy On Collision to see if the prefab ACTUALLY is triggered when it collides with the enemy and and the weapon prefab is indeed destroyed if it hits.

Freezing play shows the colliders definitely intersecting between combatant and weapon.

Layer Collision matrix is set up correctly too to ensure the weapon does not trigger on the player when fired.

My current theory is the combatant isn't an "enemy" since I am still playing with neutrals and the weapon is fired in FIELD mode, but everything is set for ALL modes everywhere I can think of just in case a turn mode battlefield suddenly appears from nowhere.
I thought the Ability Target Change value may have been an issue since it was a formula (one from the Tutorial) but even setting to a flat value made no change.

*ONCE* I saw the Combatant vanish when hit by the weapon in testing (I have no death animations yet) and I guessed it was working since damage is likely greater than HP on the combatant but made the fatal mistake of changing more than 1 thing in an effort to make it "better" and it never did that again!

I am also curious if the issue is "Damage Zones" mentioned as required in the Fireball Tutorial but never used as far as I can see. At any rate I added them to the Combatant and seemed to make no difference.

Anyone have any ideas where to check?
Post edited by Fashtas on
  • One crucial thing is to give the damage dealer enough time to actually do damage - i.e. the battle event that activates it (e.g. via the auto activation tags) has to have some wait time within, or the damage dealer will be activated and deactivated in the same frame.

Also, prefabs that are spawned and not part of the combatant (like an equipped weapon) need to be activated via the Activate Damage Dealer node.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • No, no luck

The prefab is spawned, damage dealer is activated in battle event, and later in the battle event the prefab is destroyed After Time = 4.5 seconds, more than enough time to hit the combatant (very slowly)
    (Pausing the game and inspecting the spawned weapon prefab, I can't really tell if it has *REALLY* been activated, there isn't any visible property I can see defining activation state)

As mentioned, change damage dealer to be destroyed on trigger and it is destroyed when it hits so it is hitting.

Activate Damage Dealer tag is set to "fireball" and so is the damage dealer tag

I added new abilities that don't use damage dealers (Target Range : Single) and they damage the enemy just fine and eventually kill it.

Re-created a everything again using Fireball tutorial, everything from weapon prefab to new combatant and still nothing. As close as I can make it (left out the audio effects)

Looking at maybe not using damage dealers at all at the moment, I'm still prototyping and just wanted to trial a more click heavy combat, but will test a more stats controlled one first, maybe get back to damage dealers later.

Thanks!
  • Hm, if your ability's Damage Dealer Settings use the Animate Action setting, make sure to also add a Calculate node (or enable Calculation Needed in the battle event's settings) there, as otherwise the ability's outcome/damage isn't calculated.
    If you don't use that setting, that shouldn't be an issue.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • It's working....

I'm unsure what the main issue was, after recreating I got one working and slowly compared against the ones that failed till I resolved all issues.

Basically it seems that I may have always had *one* thing incorrect. For example the Damage Dealer Activated existed in the event but was actually set to Active=FALSE.
    Then if the activate damage dealer was ACTUALLY enabled, I was missing Calculate Needed.
    If I remembered to enabled Calculation Needed, I didn't have a Damage Zone on the combatant, so when I noticed the new test combatant was missing the zone and added one, I somehow managed to disable Activate in the new Event....

Probably a few other permutations too.

At any rate, all methods of dealing damage, in various ways WITH animations etc all work now

(Probably the main reason I often missed "Activate" was the node is "Activate Damage Dealer" and in the back of my mind I always think "This event ACTIVATES it" not that it can *toggle* it. Especially with Activate in the middle of the list of properties I often missed it during checks.
    Also I had some issues knowing if I needed a Damage Zone or not. Adding one to a combatant and DISABLING it actually works as well as having it enabled, leading me to thing it wasn't needed at some stage)

Anyway thanks for the pointers!
  • edited February 2020
    Yeah, pretty much all of the enable/activate nodes in ORK have a toggle for enabling/disabling stuff. This is to decrease the amount of different nodes - there are already nearly 500 :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • Makes perfect sense! Thanks again :) More you get into ORK the more little features you find.

I can't say ORK has a *steep* learning curve, more like a extremely wide one. You can get on top of one feature and understand how it works, then find 50 others!