Hey!

I'm making a 2D turn-based RPG with ORK.
I bought character assets with premade animations, and I've made a couple for the enemies using sprite sheets.
I have followed the tutorials, but can't seem to make the animations work using the legacy system.
The Animation component has all the animations set, and I've done the same on the Animations menu on the Base/Control tab. The Combatants have enabled both Auto animations and set to legacy.
Am I missing something because the setting is in 2D?
Post edited by MysticMagicMan on
  • Since the animations came with your assets, they might have been made for Mecanim, so you'd have to use Mecanim instead.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I've checked and they're Legacy animations. I've tried calling them with Legacy, Mecanim and Custom animation settings.
    Do I need a script to call the animations?
    It's working perfectly in the tutorial and I can't find any differences besides 3D/2D.
  • It's hard to tell without having your animations (or seeing any of your setup), but AFAIK the legacy animation system can't change sprites.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited March 2020
    I'm using this asset for my playable characters: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/2d/characters/fantasy-heroes-character-editor-pro-90592

The characters are animated similiar to the ones in the demo with the difference being that
    these ones have animations on their child element 'Animation' instead of the character like in the demo. I've realized this just now :)
    https://imgur.com/a/v909TYf

The enemies are single sprites with the animation component added, while the animations are made using a couple of sprites from the sprite sheet: i.e
    https://imgur.com/a/JM3cqr1

If the Legacy system can't change sprites, should I be able to bind my animations to the animations type in the framework and use them with the Custom animations settings?

• edited March 2020
    Ok, so regarding the playable characters - I think the Legacy animations would work if I could somehow call them on the 'Animation' child element of the character/combatant instead of the character.

Regarding enemies (single-sprite with sprite sheet for animations) - I made an 'Animator' component and wrote a Controller script with a simple changeState function which changes the state/animation of the animated object.
    In that case I would have to call the script and change the state from Events. For example, in the attack event from the demo, instead of the 'Combatant Animation' I would set a node which would call my script and change the state.

Is this even possible, and if it is - how viable is it or should I look into another way?
  • ORK will use the Animation component on a child object if there's none found on the root object - basically it'll use the first animation component it can find :)
  • Ok, that's really a load off my mind. I'll look into animations state changing - maybe I've messed something there up.
    Thanks for the help! :)

Could you please just take a look at the part about the single-sprite enemies. Do you think that could work and is it possible calling a script from the Event nodes?
  • Ok, I now realised what's bothering me. Is it possible to combine the 'Animator' component with ORK?
  • Sure, for this you need to:
    - set up Mecanim animations in Base/Control > Animations
    - set your combatant's animation system type to Mecanim (and use Mecanim animations you've set up)
  • edited March 2020
    OH MY GOD! I feel like such a noob now...

You da man GIL! :D
    Thanks a lot! I've been stuck on animations for quite some time now. Seems my general Unity knowledge could use some leveluping.

The animations are finally here!!! Only one more answer/advice.
    Mecanim animations should be stopped using parameters instead of stopping them in the Events like Legacy animations?

Disregard the last question. Thank you very much! :)