edited March 2020 in ORK Support
@gamingislove ,

Just back to Ork after about a year away and wondering again about functionality (which has clearly come a long way in my absence). How far can I use/take Selected Data etc in creating new and customised versions of Items in Runtime and, critically, saving them out and loading them back in? Presumably as well as Stat values like ATK, can I actually change or alter the name or description of items too? I'm still trying to get my head around the functionality/possibilities with Selected Data tbh... Is Selected Data effectively tinkering 'under the hood' with 'things'. If I have say a Longsword and, in runtime, a player creates a Silver Longsword from that original template, does that change all Longswords to Silver ones? What is changed in save/load? I am getting myself confused on this... I also wonder whether I can use Selected Data for item socketing - ie. items like gemstone or runes 'socketed' in to other items to change the parent item's properties, stats etc.?
Post edited by Duffer on
  • Via selected data you can:
    - change the name of items, abilities, equipment and combatants (Change Selected Data Name node)
    - change status value bonuses of equipment (Change Equip Status Value node)
    - change and check item/ability/equipment variables via the variable nodes (and also use them e.g. in formula calculations)

These changes only happen on the instance you're working on, e.g. on that one Longsword, which you can rename to Silver Longsword and change the status value bonuses (or use equipment variables on it in more complex/custom systems).

All of these things will also be saved with save games :)

'Socketing' stuff can be done in 2 ways - either via events and selected data to alter the stats/variables of an equipment, or by using equipment parts and equipment. Equipment can change the equipment parts that are available to a combatant, e.g. equipping a weapon could add additional weapon slots for boosting equipment (or equipment that gives abilities). You can e.g. use this to create something like Final Fantasy VII's materia system.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited March 2020
    @gamingislove thanks for the response and this is great news. I've just come back into the fold with ORK Framework after a couple of years away. Will probably have to go back through many of the tutorials again - but clearly it has come a long way and clearly the selected data adds so much potential to it too. Hope you and yours are keeping well in these difficult times and thanks once again.

p.s. I'm wondering how many additional 'variables' with values you could add to an item in editor mode and in runtime mode and saveable?
    Post edited by Duffer on
  • Well, you can add as many as you like, there's no limit to it.
    Naturally, at some point things will get out of hand, so having hundreds of variables on each item and having a lot of different instances in your game will definitely take a toll on memory usage :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • @gamingislove - Thanks, yes I do tend to get a bit carried away there... Point taken.