I have a handful of questions, and I thought one thread might make things easier than separating them.

1- For target requirements on abilities, is there a way to integrate other tools such as Love/Hate, to be able to check values from that instead of strictly ORK status or variables?
2- Can you hide an ability from showing up on the battle menu if there are no valid targets in range, instead of it being there but not selectable?
3- In games such as Fire Emblem, a unit can carry around multiple weapons, and can choose which to attack with each time they select the attack option, cycling through the options with a key and viewing a damage preview window before confirming which to use. How could I do something similar in ORK, instead of only using the equipped weapon for the preview and attack?
4- When changing a combatant's faction during a battle from enemy to player and adding them to the player group, to recruit them, the combatant changes faction, but doesn't get added to the player phase. When I end the player phase, I get a "mini" enemy phase where I now get to control the recruited combatant, and then after that, the rest of the enemy phase happens normally. On the next player phase, everything works as expected- the unit can be controlled during the player phase. How do I fix the weird behavior on that first turn?

Thanks so much for the help.
  • 1) Not out of the box, but you can extend the status requirement system with custom scripts (and you don't need to recompile ORK for that, just have the script in your project). Write a custom class extending from BaseStatusRequirementType (namespace ORKFramework.Requirements), you can check ORK's source code for examples.

Alternatively, if you have the 3rd party tool change ORK variables (e.g. object variables on a combatant), you can also check it via simple variable conditions.

2) No, currently not.
    The battle menu will regularly check (Update Interval setting) if the usability changed, e.g. if targets came into range (or left range).

3) Hm, I don't think that's possible like that.
    However, you can create a similar system by having multiple weapon equipment parts (i.e. the weapons have to be equipped), each weapon having their attack ability as an Equipment Ability and displaying those in your battle menu via an Ability type option with limited ability type.
    Basically, you'd no longer use the regular base attack and just use the equipment abilities from the weapons.

4) I'll look into it - I don't think the phase battles currently recognize faction changes during a round of faction phases.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you for the answers, those help a lot! Sorry for the delayed response, it's been one of those weeks.

1- I'm sure I'll have more questions on setting that script up once I start, but for now, I just have one follow up. Can I similarly extend the requirements on the user, not just the target? What I'm trying to do is set up a system with a Talk ability, where combatants can trigger dialogues to do things such as recruiting other units, like question 4 deals with. Not every combatant can talk to every combatant, though, so I wanted to have variable(s) on the relevant units to store one or more conversation keys, check if the units have one in common, and if they do, then they'll be able to trigger the Talk ability, which will trigger that conversation.
  • 1) Well, your custom script will add a new status requirement to all status requirement settings throughout the framework, e.g. ability use requirements, check status nodes, etc.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!