Is there a way to set the value of a block to a percent of damage reduction instead of total attack negation? And if there is is there a way to have it be based on a status or a formula?
If there isn't a way to do this, would you be willing to add it as a feature and if so how much would it cost for that work?
  • No - blocking is only complete a complete block with a chance (%) of that happening.

If you want to do damage reduction, either set that up in your damage formulas or use the attack/defence attribute system.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • So basically if I want blocks to exist but to provide variable damage reduction instead of just be a complete thing, I should put into my formula a chance fork (with the chance itself possibly based on a status if I want it to be variable from combatant to combatant) that goes to a node that reduces the value (possibly also based on a status if I want the damage reduction to be variable based on an individual combatants stats). And if I want it to be a quick time event use the wait for input node during whatever battle event triggers the quick time event to set a bool variable that is used in the damage formula for a variable fork instead of the chance fork?
  • Pretty much, yeah.

It'd probably be best to set up a separate formula that handles the damage reduction (unless you have multiple variants) and just use the formula at the end of other formulas that should get reduced.
    Also, setting the bool variable as a local variable in the battle event will also have it available in the formulas (caused by the event) as a local variable.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Wow... that is so good to know about local variables! Is that also true for events that get called from within other events?

For example I have a quick time event that determines if a "block" is successful which gets called from within the attack abilities events. Do those share local variables?
  • Also, do they share User and Targets?
  • edited September 11
    The nodes to call other events usually have options to share variables, selected data and found objects. Also, using the Call Battle Event node will share the same battle action with the called event, i.e. user/target are also shared.

Generally, all battle events used by an action will share these things, so local variables, etc. are the same in all battle events of an action. The game events you can use in the status changes in abilities/items also share those variables/selected data.

Sharing is caring, after all :D
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • That is extremely convenient!