edited October 2020 in ORK Support
Hi there,

Currently, in my game I am doing the following
- Battle a combatant
- Using an event on a "capture" ability I have that combatant Join Active Group
- When I start a battle I do a check on who is in my active group and I add a temporary ability to the Main Player that has the same name as the combatant I previously captured

However I do not want the captured comabtant in the battle, I just want them in the active group so I can use the Group Menu to change the abilities the main player has, should I capture multiple enemy combatants.
In order to prevent them from spawning I am trying in my Battle Start event:
- if combatant is in my active group (this check passes) > Leave Battle Group node > hide combatant node
Even after doing this the captured combatant spawns and gets a battle menu and turn. So my question is either how do I get this combatant to not spawn? Or Is there a better way to manage abilities based on combatants I've captured?
Post edited by dayekaye on
  • Well, combatant aren't abilities, so you can't convert them, but you can teach a combatant's abilities to another combatant by using selected data:
    - use a Select Ability node to store abilities from a combatant
    - use a Learn Ability node to have another combatant learn the stored abilities

Or, if you only want one combatant in battle, you can set the Battle Group Size in Game > Game Settings > Player/Group Settings to 1.

Which ORK version are you using?
    If you're using ORK 2.30.0 or newer, a combatant leaving the battle group will also leave the battle. In previous versions, if you removed a combatant from the battle group in the battle start event it'd still participate in battle and you'd have to use a Leave Battle node as well.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • ooooooo that's exciting maybe I should update. I'm on 2.28.

gamingislove said: Or, if you only want one combatant in battle, you can set the Battle Group Size in Game > Game Settings > Player/Group Settings to 1.
    I can't do this becasue then when I have a group select menu I don't have the option to add multiple combatants. I've worked out the functionality to "convert" a combatant to an ability. By that I mean I created an ability with the same name as the combatant, and then do a check that adds the ability to Main Player if the combatant is in the active player group. I also need them in the active player group so I can use the Group Menu select feature I believe. Hiding them from battle is the only step I am missing. I'll let you know if this works out though!

Out of curiosity, does version 2.3 work any better with git? I have multiple people working on this project so I have multiple Ork Projects for each person and then I end up manually merging them into the main ORK project.

• There'll be no changes in ORK's data structure in the version 2 lifecycle, so the compatibility with GIT will not change.

ORK 3 will change that, though :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!