Hello! I'm curious if there's any way to show all combatants of a combatant type in a bestiary menu but without showing their name or description until after they've been fought the first time.

An easy example would be Pokemon in a Pokedex menu, like so:

Currently, from what I can tell, the bestiary does not allow you to show unknown entries with ID numbers like this. Also, I have combatants that I would not want appearing in the bestiary (like the player, certain NPCs, etc.) but I don't want them affecting the ID numbering. Is that possible either? Thanks in advance!
  • Hm, no that's currently not possible. The bestiary works on a purely knowledge/encounter basis - while you could just add all combatants you want in there at the start of the game (which could be pretty tedious), they'd be listed with their name already, even if their stats, etc. are still unknown.

The IDs aren't really displayed anywhere (in-game) either, and there are no text codes for them ... so this is something you'd set manually anyway, e.g. using the combatant's short name or a local variable on the combatant.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited December 2020
    I wouldn't mind adding them all at the start if there was at least some way to set their name as something like "01 -------", "02 -------", etc. before discovering them.

Perhaps I could use a "set combatant name" node at the start and then set it back to their correct name after fighting the enemy for the first time, along with completing their entry to make their stats and description known?
    Post edited by braytendo on
  • I don't think that'll work - changing the combatant name is a per-combatant thing, not affecting the combatant's settings or any other combatant of the same kind.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ah, I see. Oh well, adding them as they are encountered is how Mother 3 does it, so that's how I'll do it too! Thanks for the answers!