I am looking to make a 2D isometric tactics RPG in the style of something like Final Fantasy Tactics. For the combat, I would ideally like to use grid battles because that would make things much easier, but I am struggling with figuring out how to implement it. My idea was to use a square battle grid and just transform the entire object to match an isometric grid. To do that, you typically rotate the grid 45 degrees so the square becomes a diamond, and scale the height by 0.5 so the grid becomes a rhombus with a width that is twice its height. The rotation is pretty simple, but I'm struggling to figure out how to scale it after the rotation. Also, I am wondering if scaling it would have any adverse effects on the formulas for things like distance and movement. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
  • Wouldn't you just use an isometric camera for the isometric view?

Generally, you can use whatever prefabs you want for your cells and control their placement via the Cell Offset setting (in Battle System > Battle Grid Settings). Creating a grid with that look shouldn't be a problem like that.

The distances in grid battles usually use grid distances (i.e. based on cells, not on actual world space distance), unless you don't set it up that way (e.g. in the battle range templates).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I could use an isometric camera, but I ideally would like to use all 2D sprites, so using an isometric camera would complicate things. The solution I am trying for now is to setup a square battle grid, rotate it 45 degrees, and use isometric tile prefabs instead of squares. Then I just manually move each cell to make the grid line up, and I got it looking like the screencap below. However, I didn't modify the cell size and cell offset, I just moved the cells manually using the scene editor. Is moving the cells like that going to cause issues if they don't match the cell size and offset, or are those values just used to generate the grid?

• No, that won't cause issues - they're mainly used for the grid generation.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!