I recently purchased ORK, and I'm impressed how extensive it is, but I am trying to do something kind of weird. Each combatant at creation gets an assortment of abilities, but those abilities are not necessarily distinct. Like a combatant could have Ability A, Ability B, and another Ability A. The order is important, but it does not change past character creation. Combat is realtime, and each ability slot is mapped to a different key (1,2, 3, etc.). To do that, I'm using shortcuts in the control map and then changing the shortcut assignment on the combatant.

But when I call the ability, I need to distinguish whether I am calling the first, second, third, etc. instance of that ability. In the shortcut assignment, I don't see a way to pass any variables besides the level. Would it be possible to use the level? If so, how do I access the level from the battle event that the ability calls? I just need some way to pass the slot number to a script function, where my script will handle it from there, but I'm lost on how to pass that number.
  • A combatant can only learn/have one ability of each kind, i.e. you can't learn ability A twice.

You could change the system and use items instead of abilities, making those 'ability' items not consumable. Also, items can use an ability as well, though that's mean a double setup of ability and item for each ability.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for the response. Items would fix the problem of allowing duplicates, but I still don't understand how to tell which instance of the item is being used. In the control mapping, I can choose the item type, but how do I say that that key uses specifically the nth instance of that item type (or just the nth item in the inventory. Either way would work), and then pass that number to my function?
  • Hm, I don't think that's currently possible automatically - but shortcut assignment via menu screens would allow the player to do that.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!