edited March 2021 in ORK Support
Hello there.

I am having a bit of trouble using variables and conditions to implement logic. I have tried both the event approach as well as using variables & conditions directly on the components. To be a bit more precise (if I get this I believe I should grasp also the general principle) :

1. I have a scene changer next to a door, but the player should not be allowed to change the scene until he completes a quest.
I have tried to use global bool variables that switch true/false when the quest is complete and check them on the scene changer, but nothing seems to be working.

2. Also, the forks don't seem to do anything, the event just follows a sequential pattern...shouldn't it be supposed to work like an if statement in an update method?

3. What are quest conditions supposed to do? Tried to use the with the quest set as finished but again, they just don't seem to do anything else than completely blocking the flow. (the player is stuck in the room and can't go out.)

Cheers
Post edited by YuriA on
  • Most likely an issue with your setup, hard to tell without knowing details, though.

Generally, when using variables make sure to use the value type Value of your variable keys. Using Game Variable here means that you'll use the variable key stored in a string variable of the defined key - that's a very useful thing for doing complex stuff, though in 99% of the cases not needed :)
    Check out the how-to on variables for details.

As for the quest conditions - well, they check quest states. E.g. checking for a finished quest would only be valid if the quest's state is finished. This is either handled via the quest's tasks finishing the quest (see the task's Finish Requirements for that), or via the event system's quest nodes.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited March 2021
    Hey there again. thanks again for your reply...

it kinds of work now, although the visual scripting and some stuff on the components are not the most intuitive. (maybe too much stuff?)

It would be great if you or some advanced user could make a series of tutorials just for the event system to go in details...is by far the most powerful feature of your framework (I don't use the battle system so can't speak for that) and you can use it for pretty much anything to have fine control and link stuff together. If well documented it would be a really great asset.

I am going to buy the framework...I can say that is the most complete RPG framework around although the learning curve is a bit tricky due to lack of recent and in-depth documentation (most of the tutorials have 3 to 5 years and they are quite generic).
    Post edited by YuriA on
  • Did you go through the 50 part game tutorial series that pretty much goes through all major features?

Even if you don't use the battle system, I'd highly recommend to finish them completely, as the event system is also heavily used in animating battle actions.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!