With ORK 3's beta now having fixed most of the initial issues (hopefully), it's time to talk about a new feature.

The next thing I'll implement will be an (optional) slot-based inventory, i.e. instead of just having stuff in the inventory, they'll be assigned to a slot, and if no more free slots are available, stuff can't be added any longer. I guess everyone knows how this works :)

For now I've planned a basic implementation:
- you can optionally use inventory slots
- slot number is defined via the usual float value selection (e.g. allowing to use a formula for bonus slots based on stats)
- items, equipment, currency, AI behaviours, AI rulesets and crafting recipes can all optionally use slots (e.g. you can have items and equipment be slot-based and the rest not)
- new menu part for slot inventory, there's no item type or item/equipment/etc. filtering available (the regular inventory menu part still work and just list the stuff as usual)

Now it's time to let me know what kind of features you'd want implemented in a slot-based inventory :)
Post edited by gamingislove on
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Oooooh :D Well, the first thing I thought of would be Encumbrance, but I guess that's the 'Bonus Slots based on Stats' way you mentioned :P

Oh! What about Cursed Equipment? Items you can't remove without going to a priest :3
  • Not sure what encumbrance for inventory slots is - maybe go into a bit more details here :D

Don't forget that the other inventory features still apply, e.g. inventory space, dropable, stealable, sellable, etc.
    E.g. if an item can't be dropped or sold, you can't get ridd of it anyway :)
    Or would you have it locked to the slot it's on, i.e. it can't be moved to a different slot?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I'll list all possible generic interactions that come to mind atm.

Split/Merge items

Drag and Drop:
    - To equipment slot, equip
    - To drop slot, drop on ground
    - To same id item, merge request
    - To different item, swamp place
    - To empty slot, move to that slot
    - To container or from container, move between inventories
    - To character portrait, move to that characters inventory
    - To slot bar, assign if the item is usable

Context Menu Options:
    - Examine
    - Drop
    - Equip
    - Use
    - Split
    - Dismantle
    - Repair Equipment

Click Options
    - Double Click
    --Use if own inventory
    --Move from inventory to another inventory. (Chest To player etc)
    -Shift + Click Move/Sell/Buy all items
    -CTRL + Click Move/Sell/Buy one item
    -Single Click Move/Sell/Buy but the quantity slider appears

Cosmetics
    -- Different slot backgrounds for different types of items. Either through item category, or Weapom/Armor/Item/Usable Item

Sorting
    - Ability to show items of only certain categories, including subcategories.
    - Ability to sort items in ascending or descending order based on one of these:
    -- Variable Value (To provide some way to sort by Damage/Armor)
    -- Durability
    -- Cost in certain currency

• The only thing I can think of is support for items that don't necessarily take 1 square. Some items may take 2x2 or be a T shape, etc. This seemed to be used frequently in ARPGS (Diablo, Path of Exile, etc.) and some survival games to make inventory management a game play element as well.

• Very nice. Will it be a feature exclusive to Ork3 or it will be available to Ork2 as well?
    Acissathar said: The only thing I can think of is support for items that don't necessarily take 1 square.
    I had the same thought. Having items occupying more than 1 slot would be nice. (Armor, big weapons, etc)
  • I have no idea whether this is already possible, but I would like to see a Carry Limit for separate items in your inventory. For example being able to carry and take 10/10 potions, 5/5 Hi-Potions, 3/3 Elixirs, and so on with you/into battle.
  • @hellwalker
    Merge/split will definitely come (also for the regular inventory menus), other context menu stuff is probably already doable via the sub-menu (which will also be available in the slot inventory).

@Acissathar
    That's probably not coming.

@Vlastan
    That'll be exclusive to ORK 3.

@GMKe
    That's already possible (also in ORK 2), there are optional item quantity limits (default for all, each item can override it).
  • Status value that effects maximum slot value, that can be added to items....this way we can have equipment that can increase slots.

Another thing...Containers? i.e an item in your inventory that opens up and has its own slot inventory.
  • Oh, I see, that's good to know! Then I assume it'd also be possible to increase the max carry limit midway through, via custom code (such as using an item to bump the max from 10/10 to 20/20, kind of like Zelda Arrows/Bombs/etc with the different upgrades)

Thanks Gil. Eagerly awaiting for ORK3 final release!
  • Thanks for the input so far. *bump*
  • GiL,
    So we can have a background .png of say a person in the standard "T" position or any pose and drag and drop various armor, weapons, etc to that persons picture's body areas from the slotted grid inventory (e.g. for equipping, click and drag boots from the inventory grid to the feet in the picture and the feet would turn into boots in the picture and to un-equip reverse the sequence). Will this be possible? An if possible, any ideas on how this would be done in ORK 3?
    RF
  • @RifleFire
    Yeah, that's possible - and that'd also already be possible in ORK 2 (except for inventory slots). You just have to set up an Equipment menu part that only lists the equipment slots (equipment parts in ORK 2) and an inventory menu part. Drag/drop functionality has to be enabled in the menu screens.
  • edited August 2021
    The next ORK 3 BETA will feature the brand new inventory containers - the optional, slot-based inventory system.
    You can add as many containers (with as many slots) as you want, each container can define the content you can store in it, e.g. items, equipment, etc. - but also limit to certain item types.
    So, you can have separate slots for potions, weapons, recipes, etc.

Number of slots is defined via the usual float value selection, i.e. you can use formulas to expand upon it via the status system, even make a whole container only available (i.e. have more than 0 slots) under certain conditions.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • ORK 3 BETA 6 adds a first version of the new inventory container feature.
    For now this is limited to only combatant inventories, but I'll also add the feature for item boxes in one of the next updates.