edited August 2021 in ORK Support
Hey Gil,

I want to make something similar to the Throwing a Fireball howto on here but in 2d.

I have set up the event but dont see a way to rotate the sprite (z-axis) to the angle it will have to travel.
I also did not find a getAngle node or anything like that.

How would i go about making the fireball sprite face the correct direction? (The actor is not rotated as he stands on a square grid where the sprites just change for animation)

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by dendiee on
  • For rotating it to a target, use a Rotate To node, it also has options to ignore defined axes - for only rotating on Z, ignore X and Y axes.

For setting the rotation, use a Change Rotation node, enable Set Rotation and e.g. use the Game Object Rotation value type to copy to the user actor's rotation.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Aha! But see that is the problem :) on topdown games the actor doesnt really rotate so changing the projectile to the rotation of the actor's rotation is not correct.

The problem here is finding the rotation value
  • Well, if the actor isn't rotating, how do you determine in which direction to shoot at?

E.g. if you want to shot at the cursor position, you can use a Raycast To Variable node (Screen ray origin and enabling Use Mouse Position) and use the stored Vector3 variable in a Rotate To node as target position.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • The direction was based on location on grid.

I decided to just write a custom script, thanks for thinking with me though!
  • If you had that position/game object, you could have just used a Rotate To node :)