Hi i have been playing with real time battles using control maps, but havent been able to make it work properly from the tutorials

I have a control map set up but it does not trigger my BaseAttack, when i enter the ability here manually, it also doesnt get triggered. The control map itself does workr if i just put in an event. Though i want it via the base attack so it can be changed by for example weapons. The combatant has the base attack set up, so i didnt forget this part.

I assume there is something wrong with the ability, any tips what it could be?

I am trying to achieve that the player can use his ability anywhere, without targets, and use damage dealers on his weapons to do actual damage. The ability is set to be used in field and battle. (imagine a sword attack like in skyrim)
  • Base/counter attacks and the (optional) class ability are not part of the regular abilities, i.e. if you try to use them via a control map with action type Ability they'll not be available.

You need to use their specific action types, e.g. Attack for the base attack.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • You mean this right?
    Type: Action
    Action Type: Attack

This i also tried, it it what i meant in the original post with "Does not trigger my BasicAttack", sorry might not have been clear.

Basically i tried this:
    - using the above method for basic attacks => not working (This is the way i want it, so weapons can change the basic attack)
    - using ability => not working (even when the ability is learned by the combatant)
    - calling the event directly => works (Not the way i want it, at least it does show that the input works)

Are there certain things i might forget that keep an ability from using its event?
  • By any chance - did you forget to add the control map to the combatant?

Control maps are only available when controlling a combatant that has the control map added in it's Base Settings > Control Settings.

Also, make sure the control map is enabled for the used battle system (or the field if outside of battle).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • The combatant has the control map set up.

I also said the control map is able to be used in field and all battle systems.
  • edited September 2021
    Hm, if events work but other actions not, I'd assume the combatant is not able to perform actions, either due to use costs/requirements or the combatant being dead, not in battle (e.g. for battle-only abilities), etc.

E.g. the combatant could already start dead due to the initial max health being 0.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • The ability has no use cost/requirement. I also checked and the combatant is not dead.

Any other ideas what could stop an ability from being used? (usable in field is enabled)

Is there any chance u can send an ork project as example? So i can check what i am forgetting. (E.g. Wetransfer/dropbox)
  • You can download the completed ORK demo project, which includes the control map setup from the game tutorials.

Otherwise, you can send me a small Unity test project where this happens to contact@orkframework.com, e.g. upload it on dropbox or something like that and send me the link. You can reduce the size of a Unity project by deleting the Library folder in the project's folder.