Is there any way to pick up monster dropped items like potions etc by just colliding with them? If you're in a dungeon with tough monsters by the time you click on whatever you have for interact and get the pickup dialogue you could be dead. Thanks.
Post edited by Catacomber on
  • I don't think so ... I guess that needs a new setting in one of the next updates :)
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Already in ORK 2, very handy.
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    I make Rune Fencer Illyia: https://twitter.com/Nootboxgames
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
  • It is? Didn't really recall (or find it), so I've added an option for that in the inventory settings :)

@Catacomber
    Will be in ORK 2.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited July 2014
    Well, I'm making our new game with ORK 2. @Kirb, thanks. I never get a response here from anyone but gamingislove and thank you for looking and responding. : ) @gamingislove, thanks for the option in the inventory settings. : )

So will just eat any criticisms we get for that in Wizzard Island. I imagine there will be criticisms. It's amazing to me that people used ORK1 all this time without realizing this was a killer in a difficult dungeon. But I'm as guilty as anyone because I didn't realize until now. The level up screens are a killer in a difficult dungeon also. I took them out. When a monster is beating on your tail the last thing you need is any interruption.

I was really lucky to have good betatesters for Wizzard Island that have played numerous rpg games and gave me great comments.

Is there anyplace in the ORK1 code where I can change this to not show a message?

Maybe some people will think it adds to the challenge of a hard dungeon. But I think we'll just get whopped for this.

I took all the monster drops out of my monsters for this reason but I need one in the Demon Pits because of a quest. And that quest is tied into one of my beta testers so I can't stiff him and take his quest out.

The only thing I can do in an update is to take the drop out of the monsters in the Demon Pits and put it on a shelf behind them or something where it's difficult to get to.

Where there's a need there's always a way. : )

That's one thing I've learned after 7 years of game-making. Sometimes the engine won't do what you want but there's another way.

Heavy sigh. It looks like our next game will have some really nice features due to ORK 2 but I still have to deal with Wizzard Island and any disgruntled players. : ) And if I can't help them, I have to say just wait until our next game. : ( Or try somehow. : )

Am pretty impressed with the beautiful Main Menu I was able to make for our next game in ORK2. That's encouraging. : )
  • I'm currently on the road so I can't look into the ORK 1 code - but there should be a DropInfo class (or with a similar name) that handles the actual creation of item collectors. You can change the item's start type there.
  • edited July 2014
    @gamingislove

Yep! I've just been making item prefabs with an Item Collector w/ Trigger Enter Start Type in Dead Gear. To be fair, half the time I'm not actually quite sure if the mechanics I do are weird designer-hacky things instead of actual features, haha. A testament to the versatility to ORK!

Extra options are always appreciated though! :D
    Post edited by Kirb on
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    I make Rune Fencer Illyia: https://twitter.com/Nootboxgames
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
  • edited July 2014
    How do you tell ORK you want to use Trigger Enter there--

is it TRIGGER ENTER

or Trigger Enter

or TRIGGERENTER

or something else. : )

Or do you need to put the Collision Trigger script there.

I found the right script file but not sure how to change it so I don't have any problems. It's only relevant for our game Wizzards Island. Making our new game with the ORK Framework but still have to make sure people are happy whatever game they are playing.

So not changing it right now until I understand what I'm doing. Right now players get an Interact menu that says TAKE popping up to get the drop from the monsters---maybe they'll like it or hate it. It works. Don't want to break the fact that it works.
  • All ORK 1: In the DropInfo class, change the following line

ic.startType = EventStartType.INTERACT;

to

ic.startType = EventStartType.TRIGGER_ENTER;
  • edited July 2014
    Thanks very much! Works perfectly!