Hey Gil and Ork Peeps,

I say a tutorial about making a character select in Ork 2, but I was wondering about making one in Ork 3. With the UI system and the schematic system it seems like it would be possible, but not sure where/how to start.
Currently making: Real-Time Diablo-like ARPG
  • Depends on how you want the character selection to be - there are different kinds :)

You can e.g. have clickable game objects in the scene to select a character, use a series of choice dialogues, etc.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited January 2022
    Depends on how you want the character selection to be - there are different kinds :)

You can e.g. have clickable game objects in the scene to select a character, use a series of choice dialogues, etc.
    I've been thinking about that and I want to do a character select screen in the vein of Diablo/Path of Exile/Divinity Sin 2. @gamingislove

1.) Character Select screen with clickable buttons that let you cycle through classes
    2.) clickable buttons to pick various preconfigured backstory options
    3.) Field for the player to put in the name of their character
    4.) screen where player can add initial starting stats to character.
    Post edited by Solkyoshiro on
  • 1+2) Show Dialogue node with Choice dialogue type :)

3) Value Option Dialogue node to input a string into a variable, afterwards a Set Combatant Name node.

4) There's a Status Value Distribution menu screen part for that.
    You can also use it as a one time thing and call the menu via a Call Menu Screen node in your schematic.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited January 2022
    1+2) Show Dialogue node with Choice dialogue type :)

3) Value Option Dialogue node to input a string into a variable, afterward a Set Combatant Name node.
    Excellent I was on the right track. I started playing around with it yesterday while waiting for a response. This is what I've come up with so far @gamingislove.

https://imgur.com/a/OUfcp4H

1.) Show Dialogue - Choose your Character Model Options. Set to Choice.

2.) Join Group - One for each character model. Group Origin set to Active Player Group

3.) Show Dialogue - Choose your Class options. Dialogue Type set to Choice.

4.) Change Class - One for each Class. Combatant set to Machine Object.

5.) Value Option Dialogue - Option type Custom. Variable Key characterName set to global string.

6.) Set Combatant Name- Use Actor checked. Combatant Object set to Player.

7.) Call Menu Screen - Menu screen set to "Character Creation Stat Spread" which has a Status Value Distribution menu screen set up.

8.) Spawn Ork Player - The usual

9.) Add Quest - Quest set to an Intro Quest I created.
    Post edited by Solkyoshiro on
  • How can I make it so that it switches "scenes" when you pick a character and class like in popular aprgs.
  • If you actually mean load another scene - there's the Load Scene node for that.

Otherwise, changing stuff in the current scene can be done in different ways, e.g. spawning prefabs (Spawn Prefab node), enable/disable game objects (Activate Object node), etc.
    You can also use an empty game object with Game Object Manager components that handle turning on/off game objects based on conditions, e.g. variables. That way you could just change a variable (e.g. toggle on a bool variable) and have the manager take care of the game objects.
  • So I'm necroing this thread, as I'm getting toward to end of the creation of my character/class select scene and have some questions on how to control it all.

I have the UI setup how I want it. It has three canvases, one with the prefabs for choosing a character prefab, one with the prefabs for choosing your character class, and then a screen space camera that projects the name of the selected character onto a wall.

I'm trying to figure out something.

- I'm struggling to figure out how to make a radial selector like a standard RPG. An Int Button with horizontal inputs, that lets you select previous or next character. I created a UI box with an Int Button with Horizontal, but I can't figure out the best way to attach that to specific prefabs. Where it'll loop through the selections, and also change the content in the text box on the screenspace canvas.
  • Well, int button inputs can e.g. be used in Value Option Dialogues to input an int value for a variable. With Live Update enabled, the change is updated on the variable when changing the value on the button.

So, you'd need to update whatever you want based on the variable changes, e.g. via a Game Object Manager or something like that.