I've been having a hard time wrapping my mind how to create a couple of abilities in Ork/schematics.

1.) Buff type ability. While active, it can remove a specific positive status effect from an attacker when they hit you. (so kind of like a dispel bubble but for a specific status effect.) It only lasts for X hits per level.

2.) Active ability. Player chooses a target, casts ability. The target gets a reduction to hit% to anyone *but* the player until the target hits the player. (A tank-type ability. I know you added a node recently for this, but I don't quite understand how to use it to do this)

3.) How do you use Counters in Real-Time Battles? I'd love to use them for an auto-reactive move where the player counters and does a quick counterattack. (like in a ton of arpg's).
Currently making: Real-Time Diablo-like ARPG
  • edited January 2022
    1) Things like that are handled by status effects - i.e. your ability will add the effect, the effect handle preventing (and removing) the other effect.
    This can be done using a custom status bonus on the status effect, that uses an Auto Status Effect that Removes the effect you want.

Alternatively, passive abilities can also be toggled on/off (though not on for X turns), and can use the same setup (custom status bonus) to give immunity to effects.

2) Once the effect is on the combatant, you can check for that via the Status Effect Added By node. E.g. for this, you'd have to add it to your hit chance formulas, checking if the user has the effect (Check Status node) and further checking if the target has added the effect or not (Satus Effect Added By node), and doing bonus/reduction based on that.

3) The built-in counters are chance based, i.e. if a counterable ability hits a combatant, the chance is checked and if a counter occurs, it's fired at the end of the ability.

For anything else, e.g. reacting to attacks on button press or just automatically doing some action under certain conditions, you'll use schematics.
    I.e. in the schematics animating your attacks - e.g. the enemy attack (or damage dealer) schematic.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Excellent, I'll give that a try after I squash a current bug.

Another semi-related question @gamingislove.

What's the point of the Class Ability? I don't quite see its purpose as it just assigns an ability to the class, which you can already do.
  • An ability assigned to the Class will be available to all the combatants that belongs to the class, that's how I'm handling it on my LR FXIII series, so I don't have to add individual abilities to Lighting combatants if they share the same.
  • RustedGames said: An ability assigned to the Class will be available to all the combatants that belongs to the class, that's how I'm handling it on my LR FXIII series, so I don't have to add individual abilities to Lighting combatants if they share the same.
    Hm, I guess I still don't see the point of that when you can add ability development and research trees to a Combatant. I'm making a top-down arpg ala diablo/path of exile so everything is sorted by class already. It's why I don't quite get the Class Ability.

Especially when it's just a single ability slot.
  • of course it depends on the needs of your game, ORK is a generic beast
  • edited January 2022
    You can think of class abilities like the base attack of a class. It's basically a standard ability that can be accessed like the attack without knowing what ability it actually is.

E.g. there's a Class Ability battle menu item (similar to the base attack), action selections (e.g. control maps), etc.

But yeah - it's an optional feature and probably not used in most cases :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ok, after thinking about it I can see some specific use cases in my game.

Could you add support for more than one Class Ability?
  • Well ... that's already going more into the general ability setup :D
    You can also use shortcut slots in a similar fashion. Since you can have class-based shortcut slots, they can easily be switched out (if you use class changes).