So I'm working on my abilities and I hit a snag. I'm trying to make an accuracy stat so that I can have abilities that alter a dodge chance.

However, I can't see a way to affect hit in either stats or schematics.

What's the best way to do that?
Currently making: Real-Time Diablo-like ARPG
  • You mean like ... the Hit Chance you can set up in the Use Settings of an ability or item?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Yes, like that.
  • The hit chance an e.g. use a formula that uses status values for that - if you want an ability to have an impact on that, the ability needs to change the status values that are used for the hit chance.
    Active abilities e.g. via a status effect that's applied, passive abilities via status bonuses, etc.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • gamingislove said: The hit chance an e.g. use a formula that uses status values for that - if you want an ability to have an impact on that, the ability needs to change the status values that are used for the hit chance.
    Active abilities e.g. via a status effect that's applied, passive abilities via status bonuses, etc.
    Not quite what I'm saying. I'm not talking about an ability, I'm talking more basic than that. Like I was saying, there is no way to alter it via stats or formulas. I'm talking about having an Accuracy STAT that can directly influence hit chance.

Currently, you're very limited in your ability to play/modify with hit chance, there's no schematic node for it or anything.

For example, in my physical hit chance formula, I'm at an impasse because after the Status Effect Added By node, I want to give negatives to hit chance, but there is no real way to do that.

So I want the Hit Chance like in an ability or item but in a schematic/formula node.
  • If you want a status value to influence a hit chance, that needs to be done in the formula.

The hit chance is just a chance check - you can do the same in formulas, schematics and the battle AI using a Chance node.

I'm not really seeing where the limitation is, maybe you can give me a detailed example of what you want to do?
  • edited March 2022
    The main thing is I want to centralize these things so that I can have a complex, but a stable status system.

For example, in the schematic I posted I don't see how can modify the hit chance without having to override it. If the Hit Chance is a random roll between the numbers selected in the settings, then I just want to be able to subtract and add to that number.

A node that would let me do something like, "Sub 5 Hit Result/Chance". And the node would either subtract that number from the Hit chance range, or from its result.

Essentially what I want to do is have my formulas just calculate the user's result and then that number is compared against the Ork generated one as normal. I just want to be able to modify those rather than having a chance node in each formula and having to pass on a fail or succeed.

That doesn't work well for the game I'm making.

Essentially I want hit chance to be treated more like a status value that can be altered up and down.

Edit: Here's an example of how Path of Exile does hit/accuracy. I'm not trying to copypasta it, but the design ethos is the same.

Basically, I just want to be able to alter the values in the Chances/Other Bonuses, directly as they are. Hit Bonus, Counter Bonus, etc.

Post edited by Solkyoshiro on
  • You posted a formula, not a schematic - all of this is done in your hit chance formula.
    You want to add a value to it (e.g. based on conditions checked before)? Add it in the formula.
    E.g. sub 5 from the hit chance, add a Value node at the end subtracting 5.
    The formula's settings node can also define optional min/max values for the final result.

If you want the hit chance to be like a status value, you can also just use a status value - either in a formula or directly as the hit chance value.

The chance bonuses are an additional way to have things (equipment, status effects, etc.) change the hit chance with defined +/- changes.