edited April 2022 in ORK Support
Hi!

I wish to create a battle menu made of shortcuts (in a phase battle system). So when you click on a character, the battle menu shows up with all the character's skills represented by their icon (as well as Move and End Turn), and when you deselect the character, the battle menu disappears.

I've been able to achieve what I want using the options in UI ­> Battle Menus and it works rather well. However, I wish to be able to use hotkeys to use skills faster.

In Battle Menus > Layout Settings > Content Layout > HUD Type, I've found the Shorcut UI option. I've enabled it, then I've followed the shortcut HUD tutorial on your website... However, I don't understand how to make what I created following the tutorial to work with the Content Layout option in the Battle Menus. When I select Shortcut UI as a HUD type, it's like nothing is happening.

(By the way, after doing the tutorial, I realized I could recreate the battle menu I made using the shortcut HUD.... and without using the battle menus at all.... However, after spending a few hours tweaking with the options, I ended up having more issue trying to accomplish what I want (I'm struggling with all the options haha). So I realized it might be easier to go back tweaking with what I originally made.)

So my question is: how I can link hotkeys to skills in the battle menu? Is it easier to try to add that over my current setup (using Battle Menus), or is it easier to only use Shortcut HUDs without using Battle Menus?

Thank you!

Post edited by max_power on
  • Use Base/Controls > Control Maps to link input keys to shortcut slots (and also enable While Choosing). Don't forget to add the control map to your combatants, either via the general settings for all combatants or the individual combatants :)

In your phase battle system's settings, enable Selecting Control Map in the Phase Settings > Other Options to use the control maps of the currently selecting combatant instead of the players.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you for the reply. I hadn't checked the ''While Choosing'' and the ''Selecting Control Map'' options in my previous attempts, but I did the rest you mentionned.

I'll try this out a bit later this week when I have enough time.

• Yeah! I made it work correctly. Those two things you mentionned were really all I missed. Thanks again!

Quick question though: I haven't been able to create a shortcut with Return and Backspace. Other keys I'ved tried worked correctly. What could explain that? I've removed other Input Keys using those two keys.
  • They're probably used somewhere else and 'eaten' by the input, e.g. some menu/dialogue?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited April 2022
    Yeah, that's what I thought. I've tried to search what other uses they could have at this moment (nothing else is going on), but didn't find yet. Anyway, I just wanted to know if there was some sort of limitations on these keys. Thanks, I'll keep looking!

On another related matter, after playing with the battle menu, shortcuts and control maps this afternoon, I encountered another issue I couldn't solve: in the battle menu, under a skill or action icon, how can I show what hotkey to press to trigger that specific action?

I've setup the ''Shortcut Default'' prefab exactly like you did in the tutorial. When I use it in a shortcut HUD, it shows correctly the slotindex. However, when I use the same prefab in the battle menu, it'll show its info, but not its index.

When I inspect the object's Index Text > ''Ork HUD Status Text'' component during a play test, the text shows as empty, so I guess it doesn't recognize it's a shortcut slot. When I inspect that component in the prefab editor, it indicates .

In the Battle Menu < Layout Settings < Content Layout, I've setup HUD Type : Shortcut UI. So the hotkeys work correctly, except that it doesn't show the hotkey.

And also, if I use a custom key unrelated to the slot index (like M for move), is there a way to show that hotkey under the skill icon? If not, I guess I could always draw it on the icon's image.

As always, thank you in advance!
    Post edited by max_power on
  • It only recognizes the slot when displaying a shortcut slot - just displaying the ability (or item, etc.) doesn't have that information.

Generally, if you want to display information on what key to press, you have to manually put that in the content somewhere.
  • Ok, thanks for the reply!
  • Generally, if you want to display information on what key to press, you have to manually put that in the content somewhere.
    Hi, I'm having some trouble with the best way to accomplish this for use in ability hotkeys.

Having 1-9 is fine, the index would match but then 10 is 0 on the keyboard.

Allowing the player to drag and drop abilities to the shortcut bar means that you can't put the control key in ability content, because it will change depending where it is dragged to.

What's the best way to dynamically show the control key for a shortcut?

Thanks!
  • Shortcut slots are used by the keys you set up in the control map - so the key doesn't change with the content of the slot.
    You can e.g. instead of using the HUD Shortcut Slot List component to list shortcuts, use the HUD Shortcut Slot (Content Provider) component to place a single, defined slot. That way you can put the input information somewhere on that slot.