edited December 2013 in ORK Support
Hello, I am trying to make a party (group of combatants) which can walk through the ORK world. I don't mean a party during battle, but a party with a leader, and other combatants that follow the leader during traveling the ORK world. You know, like some RPG maker old skool RPG.s.

The leader must me be controlled by the keyboard (/mouse) and the party companions must follow him.

I have tried serveral ways. 1) Like making a start event with spawning more than one combatants, 2) like having more than one start Game-event during the start of a scene, 3) like using AI move etc. But every time I get only one player, until I start a battle, and than the other party-members appear.

So I have two questiong (however silly they will seem to some of you):
1 - How can I make a party consisting out of more characters from the start of the game, which are present in the ORK world (not just during battles), with a leader that will be followed by his companions
2 - How can I add combatants to a existing party during gameplay?

Thanks, Johan
Post edited by gamingislove on
  • edited December 2013
    You can make Prefabs follow your character via the movement commands. One way would be to add a 'change direction' to a prefab, make it target your player and enable it to be able to move. However I haven't tried this with multiple prefabs following (however I imagine you'd just make prefabs follow behind the first prefab). The only problem with this method would be animating them. You can animate them to move with animate commands but when you stop moving they're gonna keep doing the animation. I don't know and haven't tried any other method atm. The animating is the main problem because as I said when they stop they will still be doing the 'run' animation and such. I think you'll need a more experienced Ork user to give a better method.
    Post edited by Loopdaloop on
  • edited December 2013
    Hi Loopdaloop, thanks for your answer. Of course it would be possible to write (C#) code to get a solution for the mentioned problem (using Vector3D (world coordinates) and starting and stopping animation from code, depending of the difference between coordinates). But........

I am pretty sure that the ORK framework has an already build in solution for "following the leader" in the 3D world and adding party members to an active group during gameplay. I am convinced that the solution lies in using the ORK AI System, Game and Move events, 'Join Active Group' steps, spawning group members and related stuff. In a way that code is not necessary. ORK is a great tool, and I think Nicholas has already anticipated this subject.

I will keep on trying for the moment. Maybe I am wrong with my assumption (than I can better stop trying, ha ha. And try to accomplish the solution by coding). But I am pretty sure someone already knows the solution ;)

Maybe there will be a tutorial in future about 'party making'?
    Post edited by starmies4 on
  • Coding is like blah blah to me but I'll agree that it's no doubt probably easy to do that way. But like you I also hope that it's doable via Ork in a certain way, although it's not apart of the current project I'm working, it's always nice to have more knowledge of tools you use. However, again you're right in your wording that Ork is amazing. It's helped me do stuff that wouldn't have been possible for me to do without it, here's hoping there's a way. :)
  • edited December 2013
    Use a Move AI to make other group members follow the leader. An example can be found in the game tutorials (here).

To spawn all battle group members, enable Spawn Group in Game > Game Settings in the Player/Group Settings.

To add members to the player group, simply use game events and use Join Active Group steps (found in Active Group Steps). Just like adding the first member (i.e. the player).
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited December 2013
    Hi, already did the things you mention before. But overlooked the Spawn Group option. That did the trick! I just had it on "single player". Thanks. It will take some time to fine tune now. But I knew ORK had it in it ;)
    Great addon your Okashi framework!
    Post edited by starmies4 on