edited December 2014 in Announcements
Official support is here - learn more about it in the full release notes and the how-to on the new UI.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to use the new Unity UI with ORK Framework you can use the new beta version for 4.6.

Keep in mind that this is still a beta, bugged and in some cases not working too well.

Known issues:
  • HUDs (especially involving combatants) can increase the main thread time when updating values
  • disabled toggle fields show the wrong state when first displayed
  • text input field carat is off
  • GUI editor in ORK Framework editor is totally broken when using the new UI, haven't touched that yet :)
This is the first version and every GUI/menu/HUD should already work (some better, some not :D).
The next beta update will probably be out next week with improvements to the combatant HUDs increased main thread time.
Post edited by gamingislove on
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Oh man, super tempting. I haven't upgraded to the 4.6 beta just yet so I'll probably hold off until next week...
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • When this update goes live, what will happen to GUIs under the old system for existing projects if we update ORK?

Maybe I will just try it out on an existing project when I get home from work :)
  • So GiL, will ORK have anything to animated GUI text windows? Like instead of fading in or appearing abruptly, they zoom or zip in like in FF7? Or is that something we have to handle in UGUI? I don't know the first step!
  • @Kirb
    You can have multiple Unity versions side by side if you want to try it out :)
    Also, holding ALT while opening Unity will show the project selection instead of opening the last project.

@keyboardcowboy
    Nothing will happen to the old GUIs - as you can see in the link to the beta, it's simply a new setting where you decide which GUI system to use, the legacy system is still supported.

@Griffin
    For now, I've mimicked the fading/scaling of the current (legacy) GUI in ORK, i.e. it will behave just like it used to be (which already allowed such behaviour using scaling in the move in/out settings).
    Since you create prefabs to be used for the GUI, you should be able to animate them using animator controllers (like in the beta GUI examples from Unity).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited September 2014
    I see. Thanks!
    Post edited by Griffin on
  • So, anyone got some feedback? :)
  • I just finished up figuring out how to do a character generator last night (finally!)
    So, I'll take a little time to test the beta on the ORK demo project and leave some feedback tonight.
  • Great :)

Already found a way to speed up combatant HUD updates (with practically no impact to the main thread like it's in the current version), will roll this out by the end of the week.
  • edited September 2014
    I've been super busy with work (working on two games excluding Dead Gear agh!) but I've snagged the new unity and will be checking it out this week for sure when I have time.

Very excited to experiment with animated menu elements for flavor purposes.
    Post edited by Kirb on
  • I'm looking forward to checking it out sometime this week and will be sure to give some feedback. Thanks for doing this for all us!
  • edited September 2014
    Couldn't resist and took a look at it today.

Seems pretty simple to understand, and it's exactly what I've been wanting in Unity's GUI. I made a rotating sprite and tossed it into the background of my menu via ORK. This is great!

When the official version comes out I'm going to have to cut up all of my menus (currently they're all just one PNG overlay set to background) to take advantage of the layering; tons of work to be sure, but it's going to look so nice. Very excited for it, especially now that I've figured out how to make the Canvas render my animated 2D Toolkit sprites... :D!

Are choice icons/portraits on the list to be GUI Prefab'ified?
    Post edited by Kirb on
  • For now they'll stay simple textures - will look into that after the rest is stable enough :)
  • I played around with the new GUI in the ORK demo.

I didn't notice any issues when switching from the old GUI to the new.
    If you don't assign any textures, etc to the GUI, I thought it looked a lot cleaner vs. the old GUI.
    It was fairly easy to switch out fonts, textures, etc (been playing with the new GUI on my project as well)
    Menus displayed nicely

The biggest issue that I noticed was that I had no way of telling which menu item was selected when using the arrow keys to navigate.
  • Well, that's now up to your button prefab and the different states (or you can use a choice icon).
  • Hey GIL can you release the beta alongside the next version without the free limitations? You can still include the water mark since 4.6 is still beta but I would like to begin fully testing and implementing my project. It won't be done any time soon so I'm not worried about working under unstable conditions.
This discussion has been closed.