By following the makinom breakout game tutorial would I be able to create a Peggle style game?

They are both very similar, however it launches the ball from the top down and the ball seems bouncier and more affected by gravity.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! =]
Portfolio - My Website
Follow my project on Reddit - My Game DevLog
relentingVids - My YouTube Channel
Half Super Shop - My Shop
  • Yes, you'd just have to make some changes, e.g. probably using gravity (rigidbody) for the ball, changing the start velocity of the ball, etc.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • How can I change the velocity on the ball based on the change of position and rotation of the paddle.

What I'm trying to accomplish is have the force come from the paddle and launch the ball based on new rotation and position of the paddle.

How can I make this happen?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! =]
    Portfolio - My Website
  • If Unity's regular physics handling (rigidbodies) isn't enough for that, try using a Collision Machine to the paddle that adds force if the ball collides with it.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited July 2016
    Right now the ball just drops from the paddle when I want it to launch from it, kinda like a cannon but it moves left and right like the paddle and also changes the angle of the barrel.

Once a direction and angle is set then the player can push the fire button and it shoots the ball, but instead of firing the ball up in the Y axis I want it to fire in the direction the cannon launcher is pointing.

I just want it to act like the Peggle ball launcher but with the left and right movement like the paddle.
    Post edited by relenting_1 on
    Portfolio - My Website
  • That's pretty simple and works similar to the Ball schematic of the breakout tutorial.
    You'll have to get the direction the ball should be fired to from the paddle and use that in a Rigidbody Add Force node as Force.

You can get the direction by using a Game Object Vector3 type and using the Forward value origin (or whatever direction the ball should shoot from the paddle), or e.g. by subtracting the position of the paddle from the position of the ball (Change Variables node). You most likely also want to use a Vector3 Multiply node to add more force to it.
  • I think I may be doing something wrong because the ball just drops straight down no matter what the direction I have the paddle.

I also added a Vector3 Multiply node but it isn't applying any force...

I made sure the local position of the ball had the z position facing the direction I want it to launch (in my case it starts pointing down from the paddle) so the Balls Vector3 type and forward value origin are based on the Paddle position and rotation.

Do I keep everything the same for the Ball Schematic other than changing the Force and adding the Vector3 Multiply node?

Portfolio - My Website
  • Use a Vector3 Multiply node to multiply the forward direction of the ball with the force you want to use - afterwards use the variable in the Rigidbody Add Force node.
  • This worked like a charm I'll post pictures on here later to show exactly how I set it up.

Thank you so much Gil, you the best!!!!!
    Portfolio - My Website
  • edited August 2016
    By using the finished breakout game tutorial project we can make a Peggle style game.

This Section will be setting up the Scene

1. Change the bricks to Spheres
    2. Move the Paddle to the top and rotate it on the Z axis 180
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    3. I also changed the top and wall boundaries slightly but that's up to your design idea, I also added a moving rectangle on the bottom to follow a path that adds a life if the ball touches it, I'll explain on this more later.

4. Add a Spawn Point exactly in the same position and rotation as the Paddle and check the boxes shown below

5. Unparent the Ball from the Paddle and change the Local Z to (face downward) by changing the X rotation to 270 and the Y to 180. Once you do this parent the Ball back to the Paddle and apply changes to both. Note the rotations may change slightly when you reparent the ball. Then check the gravity and constraint the Z position.

Next will be changing the Finished Paddle to a Finished Launcher
    Post edited by relenting_1 on
    Portfolio - My Website
  • Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    1. Open the Finished Paddle Schematic and Click Save As to change it to Finished Launcher click Save so we can make some changes and quickly save.

2. In the Settings add 2 more Variables zMin and zMax

3. Remove the connection from settings and Add a Change Rotation Node change the settings to match the picture below.

4. Then connect the Change Rotation Node back up to Move.

5. Add another Clamp Transform Node next to the existing one and change the settings to match the picture below.

6. Now Save the Schematic and click on the Paddle in the Scene and replace the Tick Machine Schematic "Finished Paddle" with our newly made Finished Launcher Schematic.

7. Then scroll down to the Local Start Variables and make sure they are set to what is needed. In my case the following below settings worked for me.

8. Apply changes to the prefab and Save.

Next we will work on the Changes to the Ball.

Portfolio - My Website
  • Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    1. Open the Finished Ball Schematic

2. In the Settings Add another Local Start Variable call it BallPos Type Vector3

3. Delete the Nodes after Rigidbody Kinematic then add a Vector3 Multiply Node and set the settings to match the picture below

4. Now add a Add Force Node and change the setting to match the picture below

5. You can now finally save the Schematic as a new name then add it to the Ball and apply changes or in my case I kept the original Finished Ball name and just hit save.

6. Save the Scene and hit play and enjoy!!!!!

Next I'll explain the Add Life object.
    Portfolio - My Website
  • 1. Create a Cube and name it AddLife.

2. Using the Makinom Scene Wizard click Create Object then Waypoint Path.

3. Set the Path where you want it.

4. Check the Loop Path and add 2 Path Points.

5. Position the Path Points to be opposite ends in my case.

6. Copy the Trigger Machine from Water object and paste it into the AddLife object.

7. Open the Finished LoseLife Schematic

8. Delete the Check Variable Node and all the Nodes connected to the success slot shown below

9. Connect the Destroy Object Node with the Wait Node See below

10. Change the first Change Variable Node from Sub to Add see below

11. Change the last Spawn Node to spawn the player at the Spawn Point we created earlier.
    ***Make sure to also change this Node on the original Finished LoseLife Scematic

12. Save As and rename it to Finished AddLife

13. Now click on the AddLife object in the scene and add the new Finished AddLife to replace "Finished LoseLife"

14. Now Add a Tick Machine and check Update Type.

15. Now in we will make a new Schematic called Finished MoverX

16. In the Settings Add Local Start Variables and Actor
    Make sure the name of the actor matches the name of the path object created earlier

17. Add a Follow Path Node and change the settings to match the picture below

18. Save the Schematic and add it to the Tick machine on the AddLife object.

19. Save the scene and hit play and enjoy!!!!
    Portfolio - My Website
  • Good work :)
  • That is really nice!
  • Thanks all! =]
    Portfolio - My Website