• edited August 2016
    @Gamingislove You're right! But what I meant was the seamless transition of field grid movement and battle grid. Sorry for not being clear!
    Post edited by Griffin on
  • Grid battles beta 3 is here
    This is the first feature complete beta version. You can find more infos and the download links in this new article.
    Watch out if you've previously used beta 2 - the Grid Move To Target battle AI step has been replaced and should be removed from your AIs before updating.

The grid battle feature will remain in beta for the next 2-3 weeks and will make an official ORK 2.8.0 release (planned) in early September. Please give me your feedback in this thread - will be working on some tutorials in the next days/weeks :)

The grid prefabs now also contain battle start/end events to get you going.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Awesome. :D It is gonna take a lot of willpower to stop myself from prototyping the next project I have planned after DG.
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • @Kirb Don't hold back. Let it all go!
  • edited August 2016
    About the only feedback I have so far is... it works! :-)

I need to set up the Battle AI for Evil Pants to actually move on the grid, but so far I can move my player character on the grid, choose an orientation at the end of his turn, and attack Evil Pants when within range.

@gamingislove, actually I was getting an exception when using a grid mask to set the range of the Attack ability. I thought I'd saved the error message, but I apparently didn't. It was serious enough that I could no longer open the ORK editor to remove the mask setting and I had to revert to a backed up database file. The error message said something about being unable to create a grid mask. Sorry I don't have more details. I'll try to reproduce it later when I have more time.

EDIT: I set the mask to the two squares directly to the sides if the origin, and the three squares "in front" of the origin. Range was 1. Not sure if this makes any difference.
    Post edited by Keldryn on
  • @Keldry
    Yep, can confirm that error, loading custom battle ranges is causing this - will be fixed in the next beta (probably out by the end of this week). You should use the new Battle Range Templates in the meantime (Battle System > Battle Range Templates).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • @gamingislove I see that you're planning on implementing real time grid battles.

**** yeah! AWESOME! That's just what I need for my megaman battle network style combat system I mentioned in an earlier comment.

If there's anything I can do to help, like any QA stuff or bug testing, let me know. That feature is extremely important to my game. :)
  • @gamingislove - I don't think that the Scale setting for the cell prefabs in the Grid Cell Type configuration works. I have to set the Scale directly on the prefab's Transform to notice any difference.
  • @braytendo
    Well, set up real time grid battles and see if it works - haven't tested all battle systems yet :)

@Keldryn
    Will look into it (and fix it if it's a bug).
  • Hello!

After many months i could be able to come back to my hobbist development, and i would like to try this new, wonderful, Grid-System.

However, i got lost while testing it... Is it a basic tutorial available? For 0 to complete battle i mean... I am not used anymore to ORK and i am getting a lot of difficulties to set up a battle scene. :)

I would like to use grid battles in a 2D game, any particular advice about that?

Thanks!
    Have a good day everyone!
  • Beta 4 released
    You can now download the 4th beta version of the grid battle feature. This update contains some fixes and improvements, e.g. the Info Text in the various cell selections now also has title settings (but will reset your previous setup).
    The beta can be downloaded here.

@Kaemalux
    I'm working on a short gameplay tutorial series for grid battles, i.e. based on the game tutorials. Will probably be public sometime next week - for now you'll have to stick with the how-to on grid battles.
  • @braytendo If you can pull off a MMBN combat system, then the power is yours! I'm very curious about that as well. Very underrated gameplay!
  • @gamingislove is there a way to have the battle grid prefabs displayed in the editor when you don't have it selected?

It's a major pain to place environment models when you can't see the grid lines (especially for the hex grid).
  • Not yet, I'll add an option for that :)
  • Beta 5 released
    You can now download the 5th beta version of the grid battle feature. This time there are some small improvements and fixes for grid highlights - you can now set up 3 base highlights (area, selection, no selection) and reuse them in other highlights (i.e. you no longer have to set up the same settings for the different highlights).
    The beta can be downloaded here.

Also, here's the first part of a new gameplay tutorial series about setting up grid battles.